Samuel Merritt ELMSN... anyone else applying - page 2
by karmyk 4,721 Views | 15 Comments
Hi! I have an interview with them in a few days... I was just wondering if anyone else was applying for their Fall 2006 ELMSN-FNP (or even CM) program and was scheduled to interview on Feb 21st? (I'm kinda sorta nervous... but... Read More
- 0Mar 6, '06 by modocI have an interview scheduled next week, and the interviews are all in one hour slot increments, and nothing was said about a campus tour or speaking with current students? Was your interview 1 hour or longer? Did you know about the campus tour before you went? I'm wondering if the Case Management dept does something different than the FNP dept. Thanks.
- 0Mar 6, '06 by karmykWow! That is different.
I'm not quite sure if the Case Management interviews were different... They did mention at the Orientation last year that they were going to do interviews differently for CM (compared to last year).
For the FNP interviews, I've spoken to people who have attended at least 4 other completely different interview groups for the program over the past 2 years, and all of their interviews were different from one anothers AND mine.. So I think they switch it up to throw everyone off-guard. My interview wasn't in 1 hour blocks, though-- it was a 3+ hour long interview session and tour... but I did go on a tour of the campus last year, when they had an open house.
At the end of my interview, everyone in the group agreed that we probably would have felt better about our performances if we went into the session without any expectations... I'm guessing it might be the same case for y'all.
Just be prepared to show them that you know exactly what you're getting into (it's just about as intense as the ABSN program), you're very serious about the case management field, and that you'll work well with both the faculty and the other students... and I'm sure you'll do fine.
- 0Jun 12, '06 by bootsiedomeHey Karmyk,
I am in the process of applying for the Sacramento ELMSN program. I sent my application in today and I have already taken the NET. I was wondering if your cohort had to take the NET as well? Do you know what the competitive scores were? I know there are some scores listed on the website for the national average but they sound low.
Another question for you (lucky girl who already got accepted!!!), about how long after you sent in your application were you notified about the interview? Were you notified by phone or by the mail? I am asking because I have been accepted to a NP program in LA (at Azusa Pacific University) that begins in Fall but I would like to go to the Sacto Samuel Merritt program since I live in Davis and I have so much family and friends here. I totally don't want to move but I definitely want to go to nursing school. It is sorta a time crunch since I will have to know if I got into Sam Merritt for sure in order to decline going to LA. Anyhow, any timeline ideas or info you have would be so appreciated
- 0Jun 14, '06 by karmykQuote from bootsiedomeI took the NET for the ABSN program... at the time, I didn't think the actual score factored into their overall scoring system for each individual applicant, so I didn't really pay attention to my score. I remember calling and asking what my score was, and I remember knowing that my average score was somewhere in the mid-90's... and since that was much higher than the minimum score (and the lady on the phone said my score was excellent and I didn't have anything to worry about), I left it at that. I have no idea, percentage-wise, how I did compared to the national level... but I believe I was wrong in thinking that my actual score didn't matter. I think the score does have an impact on where you stand among the various applicants to the program.I was wondering if your cohort had to take the NET as well? Do you know what the competitive scores were?
The best person to ask is the admissions counselor... the Sacramento counselor is awesome.
about how long after you sent in your application were you notified about the interview?
For the ELMSN, I also sent my application in right before the early deadline (15 January). They sent me the invite for an interview in early February.
Were you notified by phone or by the mail?
I am asking because I have been accepted to a NP program in LA (at Azusa Pacific University) that begins in Fall but I would like to go to the Sacto Samuel Merritt program since I live in Davis and I have so much family and friends here.
Another option you might want to consider is the new ELMSN program at CSUS (Sacramento).
Good luck! And congratulations on your acceptance into the Azusa Pacific program. =)
- 0Jun 14, '06 by bootsiedomeKarmyk-
Thanks for all the really useful information. I did not even know about the CSUS program, I will definitely look into it. I do really want to stay up North but I feel very blessed to be in a program at all.
Another question, have you heard of any good scholarships? You might be interested in applying for the Health Professions scholarship that is given out for California residents. I applied for one for the APU program and although the application is pretty grueling it is worth it since the reward is up to 10K. You missed the window this year but check it out for next: www.healthprofessions.ca.gov. They also do the loan repayment program once you've graduated.
I will be writing you again once your program starts to see how everything is going. Until then, have such a fun and (hopefully) relaxing summer!!