Pt is 89, diagnosed with prostate cancer that has metasticized to the bone and elsewhere. He is on palliative/comfort care only. Family is having a difficult time deciding on placement following discharge from hospital.
1. Chronic pain r/t (insert long patho of pain here) AEB facial grimacing, groaning
2. Alteration in family process r/t illness of family member AEB blah blah blah
3. Risk for impaired skin integrity r/t immobility
4. Risk for infection r/t depression of immune system (pt was treated with strontium)
I know they aren't the best diagnoses ever, but I am having a really hard time with this because of the comfort measures only. I am wondering if maybe there is a better diagnosis for the family issues? Thanks for taking the time to look!
Jan 28, '03
Those sound good. How about some psycosocial dx.
1) Fear/Grieving r/t impending death aeb expressions of guilt,anger or sorrow
2)powerlessness r/t loss over control of life decisions aeb witdrawal or decreased participation inadl's
these both came from my Mosby book.Good luck with your careplan
Jan 28, '03
Thanks! I especially like the second one. I think I may tweak it and use it instead of the family process one. (We have to have 4).