CPR certification

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in School Nurse, past Med Surge.

What level of CPR certification do you all have? Just for healthcare providers or do you have PALS or ACLS? Does anyone know what NASN recommends? I'm trying to search their site & not having much luck.

Clarification: Are you PALS or ACLS solely for you SN job?

Specializes in Med-surg, school nursing..

I have healthcare provider BLS and PALS, the PALS is a requirement at the hospital I am PRN at r/t it's a med-surg/peds floor, but not required for the school nurse job. Helpful though.

I am a Healthcare provider BLS instructor.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
I am a Healthcare provider BLS instructor.

Ditto. I don't believe NASN requires PALS training, only because we don't have a lot of the equipment and meds.

Specializes in Home Health,Dialysis, MDS, School Nurse.

I am certified in BLS for healthcare providers. I have previously had ACLS and Trauma, but they have long since expired. They aren't required for my SN job.

Healthcare provider BLS instructor & PALS - PALS is not required for my school nurse position. I just keep it current for my own benefit.

Specializes in Home Health (PDN), Camp Nursing.

I would think anything above BLS would overkill as schools wouldn't have the full equipment to run an ACLS code.

We have had a discussion at my summer camp, where we have an MD on site, about doing some advanced airway work or some form of ACLS. However we concluded that high quality BLS and Rapid defibrillation were more effective to focus on than what would probably end up being a crap show of an ACLS event.

Specializes in ED, School Nurse.

I used to be TNCC and ACLS certified, and a PALS instructor when I worked in the ER. Now, as a school nurse, we certify only in BLS for the health care provider.

PALS and ACLS would be overkill IMHO, as others have stated. We just don't have the equipment or the drugs for it to make sense at a school. I have an AED, albuterol inhaler and an epi-pen for my emergent students. Other than that, I can throw a few ibuprofen at them in a code. I don't think that will work the same as IV/IO epi though.

Specializes in school nursing, ortho, trauma.

i'm a bls instructor. everytime it comes up for renewal i seriously consider not doing it. AHA is getting a bit out of hand with all the paperwork and requirements to teach a class. There was a time they were trying to make it easier to encourage more people to learn cpr. I guess that philosophy has shifted a bit.

Specializes in School nursing.

I'm just BLS as well. I was ACLS certified but let it lapse and debated PALS but I will never use that in a school setting.

But this thread is setting a reminder for me that I need to schedule to re-up my BLS this spring :).

Specializes in Home Health (PDN), Camp Nursing.

You would think it but it's my opinion that the AHA exists for reasurch and if you're not researching you better be making money. So as Instructors we make money.

+ Add a Comment