Why parents! Why?!!

Specialties School

Published

Good morning,

Mom brought student in late states he had a fever this morning and that he always gets a fever with allergies. Secretary still gives child a late slip. Why do parents bring/send their child to school sick? What is you guys protocol at your school about fevers?

Specializes in School Nursing.

Students may not attend school until they have been afebrile for 24 hours without the use of antipyretics. I would have called that parent and told them that they needed to come back and take the child home.

Students may not attend school until they have been afebrile for 24 hours without the use of antipyretics. I would have called that parent and told them that they needed to come back and take the child home.

Our policy is somewhat like this but the district states "it is suggested that you keep your child at home"

Specializes in School Nursing.

Suggested? Yeah I'd try to get that one changed pronto! :no:

ugh! They need to be free of fever for 24 hours without antipyretics to return here.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
Good morning,

Mom brought student in late states he had a fever this morning and that he always gets a fever with allergies. Secretary still gives child a late slip. Why do parents bring/send their child to school sick? What is you guys protocol at your school about fevers?

As much as this irritates me.... I have learned not to believe "fever" unless I take a temperature. Because everyone thinks that 99.0 is a "fever." Or "I usually run really low, like 96, so 99.0 is a fever for me."

Hang in there!!!

Good point, Ruby_jane. My personal favorite is "he felt warm, so I thought he had a fever."

As much as this irritates me.... I have learned not to believe "fever" unless I take a temperature. Because everyone thinks that 99.0 is a "fever." Or "I usually run really low, like 96, so 99.0 is a fever for me."

Hang in there!!!

Exactly Ruby_Jane...I was thinking the exact same thing. I sometimes have to educate parents on what a real fever is smh

I have a kiddo sitting in my clinic right now; sent home with fever yesterday. Said mom gave her medicine this morning so she wouldn't have a fever. Mom of course is MIA and won't call back. Temperature, of course, crept up as med wore off. We are also 24 hours fever free without antipyretics.

Our protocol states that anything over 100.0 stays home and/or gets sent home. Can't return to school until fever free for 24 hours without medication. (not sure how we can verify they've had meds or not).

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
Our protocol states that anything over 100.0 stays home and/or gets sent home. Can't return to school until fever free for 24 hours without medication. (not sure how we can verify they've had meds or not).

If you're lucky sweet baby was given Tylenol and s/he will be febrile again before lunch!

Specializes in NCSN.
"I usually run really low, like 96, so 99.0 is a fever for me."

That's in my top 5 of things parents tell me, that make me want to hit my head against my desk.

Definitely a teaching moment for the parents

+ Add a Comment