School security issues

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in School Nurse, past Med Surge.

So I've received phone calls from two of my boys' schools today regarding lockdowns.

Apparently, an employee at the middle school broke his ID & while he was without while the office was making him a new one, another staff member who isn't in the building much saw an adult they didn't know without ID and alerted the office. They went on lockdown for about 20 minutes. Everything was fine, they've talked to the kids & let them know everything was fine. There is another school right behind the middle school & they went on a partial lockdown as a precaution. They've also talked to the kids to let them know everything was fine.

I'm not fine. I want to cry. Tears are welling up as I type this. :cry: This is the first "real threat" I've dealt with as a mom. This is complete bull$h!t. This should not be something we (parents, staff, whomever) has to worry about! What was going through my boys' minds? Were they scared? I just want to hug them (and my oldest is leaving early from school for a math contest...I won't see him until tomorrow night).

Something has got to change. What the heck is going on in this world? :no:

((I'm preparing myself for a call from my third's school because it's right across the street...))

Specializes in School Nurse. Having conversations with littles..

Many Hugs to you SaltineQueen. I wish someone had a solution to this very scary world we live in. Breathe.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

Every district is hyper-sensitive and hyper vigilant now and I know you'd want them to lock a school down needlessly instead of the alternative. As I've said before I have two in HS and one in JH. I promise...it affects you much much more than it affects them. My kids relate these occurrences to me in a very nonchalant manor and then go on with their teenage life while we, as parents, feel like our guts are being ripped out with our hands tied behind our back. Yes, something has GOT to change, I believe something is changing, slowly, but at least there is movement, and hopefully these innocents won't have to experience another horror like those poor Florida students recently.

Your boys are safe, mom.

Specializes in School Nurse. Having conversations with littles..
Every district is hyper-sensitive and hyper vigilant now and I know you'd want them to lock a school down needlessly instead of the alternative. As I've said before I have two in HS and one in JH. I promise...it affects you much much more than it affects them. My kids relate these occurrences to me in a very nonchalant manor and then go on with their teenage life while we, as parents, feel like our guts are being ripped out with our hands tied behind our back. Yes, something has GOT to change, I believe something is changing, slowly, but at least there is movement, and hopefully these innocents won't have to experience another horror like those poor Florida students recently.

Your boys are safe, mom.

Thanks OD. Your wisdom and how you put it into words never ceases to amaze me. SP is one blessed lady and I am sure SP is more valuable to you than gold.

Specializes in kids.

We had an UNplanned building evacuation today...the kids were spooked (ok so was I) as I headed into the hall and heard my principals (slightly panic) voice on the walki stating that we were moving over to the emergency channel...I just wanted to hide...

Faulty sensor in a detector...

I'm ready for the weekend!

Specializes in School nursing.

We also had a security related issue this week, but it also reminds me that in people's current state of mind that rumors can form and cause unnecessary panic. And sometimes untrue accusations, which have a lot of emotions for students as well.

Specializes in NCSN.

I can't even imagine that gut wrenching feeling when you got that call.

It sounds like the schools responded swiftly and effectively in order to keep everyone safe and informed.Sending hugs your way.

+ Add a Comment