Failed at 145 - NCLEX

Published

If you failed NCLEX 145 maximum does it means you are close to passing 

kbrn2002, ADN, RN

3,729 Posts

Specializes in Geriatrics, Dialysis. Has 21 years experience.

Not necessarily. It just means that was the number of questions required for the program to determine that you did not pass. Sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear.

Specializes in Psychiatry, Community, Nurse Manager, hospice. Has 7 years experience.

Yes it does mean you were close to passing. Take an NCLEX course and try again.

kbrn2002, ADN, RN

3,729 Posts

Specializes in Geriatrics, Dialysis. Has 21 years experience.
9 hours ago, FolksBtrippin said:

Yes it does mean you were close to passing. Take an NCLEX course and try again.

That's not the case, unfortunately it's quite the opposite. If the computer shuts off before the maximum number of questions with a failing score it has determined that the test taker would not get enough questions correct to pass even if the the maximum number of questions were answered.

Specializes in Psychiatry, Community, Nurse Manager, hospice. Has 7 years experience.
2 hours ago, kbrn2002 said:

That's not the case, unfortunately it's quite the opposite. If the computer shuts off before the maximum number of questions with a failing score it has determined that the test taker would not get enough questions correct to pass even if the the maximum number of questions were answered.

The maximum is 145 though. So if the computer shuts off at 145, that meant you still had a chance at 144. It shuts off when you no longer have a chance. Therefore if it shuts off at the maximum, you were close. 
 

 

kbrn2002, ADN, RN

3,729 Posts

Specializes in Geriatrics, Dialysis. Has 21 years experience.
On 12/7/2022 at 7:23 AM, FolksBtrippin said:

The maximum is 145 though. So if the computer shuts off at 145, that meant you still had a chance at 144. It shuts off when you no longer have a chance. Therefore if it shuts off at the maximum, you were close. 
 

 

Yep, you are right, I was forgetting the COVID era reduced the number of questions...I had a brain fart and was thinking it was 265 maximum. 

londonflo

2,342 Posts

Specializes in oncology. Has 46 years experience.
On 12/7/2022 at 7:23 AM, FolksBtrippin said:

So if the computer shuts off at 145, that meant you still had a chance at 144. It shuts off when you no longer have a chance.

Yes, as long as the computer keeps giving you questions, you may pass. When students get so upset when it doesn't shut off at 75, they think so many negative thoughts to themselves....Give yourself a positive thought -- you may still pass...