Jump to content

Visually Teaching about Head Lice

Nurses   (3,815 Views 6 Comments)
by kwagner_51 kwagner_51 (Member)

kwagner_51 specializes in Geriatrics, Pediatrics, Home Health.

9,151 Profile Views; 592 Posts

I would like to know if there is a website that demonstrates how to remove NITS! I work in a pre school and have had parents/gaurdians/grandparents tell me that they used the medicated shampoo because their child was sent home with nits..not LIVE bugs!!!

I want to put together a visual to show them how to remove nits from the hair and when they are to use the pesticides.

I am afraid that if they keep using the bug killer, several things could happen:

1. The child could develope a severe reaction to the pesticide.

2. The pesticide could cause mental problems.

3. Parents etc will use scarey things on their child's hair. [iE Kerosene]

4. Parents are wasting money to 'kill' something that isn't there.

Please give me some ideas and advise.

Thanks!!!

____________________________________

In His Grace,

Karen RN

Failure is NOT an option!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

luvschoolnursing has 23 years experience as a LPN and specializes in School Nursing.

651 Posts; 7,113 Profile Views

try this link:

www.headliceinfo.com/

it has a video called head lice to dead lice that the school district I work for uses. They have a strict no nit policy that I disagree with. Good combing daily for 2-3 weeks should get rid of live bugs and nits can't pass from person to person. If you'r worried about pestacides being uses on little kids, I have also had families have good luck with the olive oil treatment. You should be able to google how to do that. Good luck with the critters!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

miMOMMYof3 has 7 years experience and specializes in ER/adult gero-NP.

129 Posts; 3,231 Profile Views

instead of chemicals use olive oil (its cheaper and safer) The oil smothers the bugs to death and it makes removing the eggs a lot easier. Let the oil set atleast 3 hours and brush out with fine metal comb. This can be repeated as much as necessary. Any remaining eggs should be removed manually by hand. Also vinegar helps break the glue bond the eggs have on the strandsof hair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

gr8rnpjt has 38 years experience as a RN and specializes in Case Management.

737 Posts; 6,779 Profile Views

we went through the licemare merry-go-round years back when my daughters were younger. the problem is that lice are becoming immune to the over the counter standard remedies. the best treatment I heard of and used was blue Dawn detergent. (don't know why but it has to be blue) saturate the head with it and leave it on for a couple of hours. use the nit comb to remove the nits and condition well after rinsing the soap out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crux1024 specializes in Cardiac Telemetry, Emergency, SAFE.

985 Posts; 15,964 Profile Views

we went through the licemare merry-go-round years back when my daughters were younger. the problem is that lice are becoming immune to the over the counter standard remedies. the best treatment I heard of and used was blue Dawn detergent. (don't know why but it has to be blue) saturate the head with it and leave it on for a couple of hours. use the nit comb to remove the nits and condition well after rinsing the soap out.

Wonder if this works on blond/light haired children??? lol

Id like to see all the litttle smurfs running around....:lol2:

:roll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

feisty_lpn is a LPN and specializes in HH, Psych, MR/DD, geriatric, agency.

106 Posts; 2,520 Profile Views

I discovered my girls are allergic to the lice pesticide when we went through "licemare" (I love that term! LOL) a few years ago. They are blonde and very fair-skinned. This is what I discovered to work and have passed it on to everyone I know... no one has said that its failed them.

1] Soak the head in baby oil under a disposable plastic shower cap for at least 4 hours. I had my girls wear old clothes and put old towels around their shoulders to catch any dripping oil. The baby oil soaks into the live bugs and nit shells. It also seems to "unglue" the nits from the hair shafts. You can literally slide them off with your fingers.

2] Wash the baby oil out with Palmolive dish soap... twice if it needs it. I found that it cuts through the oil better than anything else.

3] Wash the hair with Pantene shampoo and conditioner. That rejuvenates the stripped hair from the Palmolive abuse.

4] Comb the hair with a fine, disposable comb. The lice combs break thick hair strands, so it makes my daughters' hairs look frizzed.

5] Completely blow-dry the hair on the highest setting.

6] Throw everything away... used shower caps, old clothes and towels, used combs.

Of course, I still had to bag up stuffed animals, wash bedding and pillows in hot water, use pesticide on the furniture and vacuum every crevice, vigilantly check their heads every day for a month, etc. But when I used the baby oil method, I never had to retreat their heads. One treatment and we were done.

Thanks for making my head itch! LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×