animal therapy

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Has anyone worked in a hospital that has used therapy animals? I have read about some children making great progress from the interaction

Yes. Wonderful dogs. Good for certain patients and stress relieving for staff.

Specializes in mental health / psychiatic nursing.

Yes, the hospice center/hospital I worked for had therapy dogs come in several days a week. Great for patients, family, and staff alike.

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

Yes, I work at a childrens hospital ans we have theory dogs that visit, as well as clowns, music therapy, sports teams ans celebrities etc. It does help, most of the kids light up when they see the dogs.

Annie

I am at a large Children's hospital, and we have pet therapy daily! (It's also good nurse therapy. :) )

My nephew was hospitalized with AFM and, when he was stable enough to begin therapy, his favorite part were the therapy animals. Getting to see the miniature horse was what made him determined to walk again. As a nurse, I can easily see all the logistical challenges, but it certainly has its benefits!

Specializes in Pediatrics, Pediatric Float, PICU, NICU.

I've worked at three large pediatric hospitals, and they all have had pet therapy which I believe is amazing. Kids who didn't want to ambulated suddenly are walking, chronic kids who are withdrawn are smiling some, etc.

One of the hospitals I worked for in the Midwest even started a program where patients could bring in their own animals from home for a visit, which was amazing. Of course there was a process of applying for the animal to come in, getting vet and immunization records, etc but once they got approved there was a small added on portion of the hospital that was built specifically for the visiting pets. The chronic kids loved it.

Specializes in LTC.

I'm all for anything with cats! :D

+ Add a Comment