Jump to content

Failed out of nursing school

Posted

Specializes in LTC, Rehab, Vascular Telemetry, Med Surg. Has 5 years experience.

Hello everyone,

I failed out of LPN school after one semester (last fall semester). I took this Spring semester off to deal with the failure (thank goodness I did with the COVID-19 situation).

Since failing out, I honestly don't know what to do. I struggled during nursing school and it was a horrible experience for me. My classmates were outperforming me with things like head-to-toe assessments and understanding the nursing process. But yet, I passed nursing fundamentals, pharmacology, nursing fundamentals clinical, and med surg clinical. I failed my Med Surg class by exactly 0.1 point!

Now I am forced to wait a full year at this college. And if I fail again, then I'm out for good. And because this college is in the same state college system, I also won't be able to go to any those schools either unless I go to one of those for-profits schools that I KNOW I can't afford.

I'm at a crossroads on what to do. I'm 32 years old and I have been trying to get into nursing school since my 20s. Then I finally get in just to fail out. If I had chosen another major, I would of already graduated with a Bachelors degree years ago instead of still working as a CNA.

I'm tried of working as a CNA and I want to move up in my career. I got accepted into the medical assisting program for this Summer semester, but of course it is nothing compared to nursing.

Should I throw in the towel and accept that nursing isn't for me? Or am I being too hard on myself and should I try it again?

Edited by PRican

Lynker, LPN

Specializes in LTC, Rehab. Has 2 years experience.

You have to keep trying for yourself. I almost failed out of my LPN program many times, and now in my RN program I'm barely hanging on. But there's something amazing about people who persevere through the tough times. Give yourself credit, cry it off, and KEEP. GOING. You will have support everywhere you turn on the internet. I recommend Nurse Angie's facebook group for nursing. They're some of the most supportive people I've known. Reach out for help when you need it. Make yourself proud! I know it's in you to do this! You got into nursing school--now kill it the next time it starts! 🙂

PRican, CNA

Specializes in LTC, Rehab, Vascular Telemetry, Med Surg. Has 5 years experience.

2 minutes ago, JabuJabule said:

You have to keep trying for yourself. I almost failed out of my LPN program many times, and now in my RN program I'm barely hanging on. But there's something amazing about people who persevere through the tough times. Give yourself credit, cry it off, and KEEP. GOING. You will have support everywhere you turn on the internet. I recommend Nurse Angie's facebook group for nursing. They're some of the most supportive people I've known. Reach out for help when you need it. Make yourself proud! I know it's in you to do this! You got into nursing school--now kill it the next time it starts! 🙂

Thank you for your kind words. I just can't believe that I failed by 0.1 point. I'm just afraid that I will fail again and be stuck as CNA for the rest of my life. I have to wait a whole year before I can apply again. But Fall 2020 is also around the corner.

Lynker, LPN

Specializes in LTC, Rehab. Has 2 years experience.

Have you looked into other schools?

Another thing is to consider becoming an LPN first before becoming an RN. That's my path, and it's honestly amazing. I'm making a LOT of money, gaining experience as a nurse and loving my job and patients! LPN programs tend to be shorter too, mine was only 10 months long. I wouldn't say the content is "easier", because often the programs are accelerated like mine was. But it's a great launching point for your future career.

If you ever need someone to talk to about this or anything else, I'm here. 🙂

PRican, CNA

Specializes in LTC, Rehab, Vascular Telemetry, Med Surg. Has 5 years experience.

1 minute ago, JabuJabule said:

Have you looked into other schools?

Another thing is to consider becoming an LPN first before becoming an RN. That's my path, and it's honestly amazing. I'm making a LOT of money, gaining experience as a nurse and loving my job and patients! LPN programs tend to be shorter too, mine was only 10 months long. I wouldn't say the content is "easier", because often the programs are accelerated like mine was. But it's a great launching point for your future career.

If you ever need someone to talk to about this or anything else, I'm here. 🙂

I'm sorry. I didn't mention that I was in the LPN program. I need something short term until I can get into RN school. CNA pay is not enough to support me through a BSN program. My job at the hospital requires the RNs to have the BSN.

Thanks for reaching out to me. 😊

PRican, CNA

Specializes in LTC, Rehab, Vascular Telemetry, Med Surg. Has 5 years experience.

I edited the post to say I was in LPN school. Sorry for the confusion!

Edited by PRican

Lynker, LPN

Specializes in LTC, Rehab. Has 2 years experience.

Then we shall go back to my original comment (LOL). Never give up! You only fail if you don't try! 🙂

You have your syllabus, textbooks, notes, and any other materials right? Take all of this and put yourself through the material while you wait to re-enter. Make your time off count. Know it inside out so when you return you can progress. Take some time to evaluate and improve your study skills. Get your healthy lifestyle down pat too. Do everything you can to make yourself ready for the challenge. Good luck.

PRican, CNA

Specializes in LTC, Rehab, Vascular Telemetry, Med Surg. Has 5 years experience.

9 minutes ago, caliotter3 said:

You have your syllabus, textbooks, notes, and any other materials right? Take all of this and put yourself through the material while you wait to re-enter. Make your time off count. Know it inside out so when you return you can progress. Take some time to evaluate and improve your study skills. Get your healthy lifestyle down pat too. Do everything you can to make yourself ready for the challenge. Good luck.

Yes I do...I hope that I can do better at critical thinking especially on those exams. That's a big struggle for me because the information they gave us was not on the exam at all!😤

Oh I'm right there with you about being scared of failing out or not even being chosen for that matter. But the way I see it if you don't go back you'll have no chance at becoming a nurse. At least if you try you'd be giving yourself a fighting chance.

Colonel Sanders was 62 when he hit it big. The founder of JcPenny lost nearly everything in a stock market crash, but still came out on top in the end.

Don’t let a setback stop you from your future.

I had to go through something similar to this. I withdrew from LPN med surge due to failing my exams and the second time around I barely passed. I would see if you can gather some material for the class and just study it over break or something. Nursing school is hard for all of us and you just need to adapt to the rigor of the program.