Jump to content

Credentialing as FNP

Advanced   (492 Views 10 Comments)
by HhnurseNP HhnurseNP (New Member) New Member

47 Profile Views; 7 Posts

advertisement

New FNP graduate - talked to a physician that is really looking to get out of primary care for the most part and do more contract jobs, locum tenems, etc.  

But - they have never worked with an NP before and know little about credentialing (NPI, Medicare, Medicaid, the works).  Has anyone tried to work in this position?  I am no expert either in all this insurance stuff.  I have been a nurse 24 years and feel pretty comfortable with the clinical side of things.  

Advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1,243 Posts; 6,438 Profile Views

Credentialing starts with being bored certified ( I couldn't resist). Sign up for the exam. You can't bill Medicare or medicaid without it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 Posts; 47 Profile Views

Oh - I have took boards before I graduated!!  I have my FNP number from the AANP, but in Alabama you can't apply for a state license until you have a collaborating physician, which you have to have the state number for NPI......argh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1,243 Posts; 6,438 Profile Views

 

I wonder how anyone could take boards before graduation? Sounds very strange. I had to provide extensive proof that I had graduated from an approved program before I could apply to take the ANCC boards.

So I question your credentials. Sounds fishy. Sorry.

Perhaps we are talking about different boards. There is one you take after you graduate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 Posts; 47 Profile Views

No - you can take FNP board certification with the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners before actual graduation.  All of our clinical and didactic requirements were completed on 4/30/19 at school.  Our graduation ceremony was not until 5/20/19.  I took boards 5/14/19.  You have to send proof of nursing license in the state you live in and transcripts of classes taken.  The certification board requires you to send an additional transcript after graduation with "Degree conferred" from your school before they will release the scores to you or to the state board of nursing. It speeds up things a bit, but I mainly did it just to have it done and out of the way.  I don't know that everyone knows this, but it is easy and legal to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ArmaniX has 5 years experience as a MSN, APRN and specializes in Surgical Critical Care.

266 Posts; 6,355 Profile Views

18 hours ago, Oldmahubbard said:

 

I wonder how anyone could take boards before graduation? Sounds very strange. I had to provide extensive proof that I had graduated from an approved program before I could apply to take the ANCC boards.

So I question your credentials. Sounds fishy. Sorry.

Perhaps we are talking about different boards. There is one you take after you graduate.

 

I was in theory able to take my boards prior to finishing the last semester of my program (B&M school). But it was a pure oversight in the credentialing boards side. Others in my class received and email to resend transcripts once the final semester was completed. I, however, got my seating pass and instructions on how to sign up. 

 

I always wondered if I were to have taken the exam immediately if I would’ve been awarded the certification and able to get licensed... or if it would’ve been held until completion of the semester. I didn’t experiment as I didn’t want anything bad to come to me for someone else’s oversight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1,243 Posts; 6,438 Profile Views

I remember back in the day, 2006 or 2007, everyone was ridiculously clueless about the process. Insurance companies, NPI, physicians. Everyone.

As though NP's were a brand new thing.

I stumbled around for a probably year. It doesn't help that every state is different.

Some insurance companies, ie BC/BS actually told me in 2006 that they do not credential NP's. It can't still be the case,

It was a lot of work. You just have to eat it like an elephant. 

One bite at a time.

When it came to a collaboration agreement, required by my state at the time, I ended up pulling something online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1,243 Posts; 6,438 Profile Views

On 6/18/2019 at 7:47 PM, HhnurseNP said:

No - you can take FNP board certification with the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners before actual graduation.  All of our clinical and didactic requirements were completed on 4/30/19 at school.  Our graduation ceremony was not until 5/20/19.  I took boards 5/14/19.  You have to send proof of nursing license in the state you live in and transcripts of classes taken.  The certification board requires you to send an additional transcript after graduation with "Degree conferred" from your school before they will release the scores to you or to the state board of nursing. It speeds up things a bit, but I mainly did it just to have it done and out of the way.  I don't know that everyone knows this, but it is easy and legal to do. 

You have completed your degree and are taking the boards a few days before official graduation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

djmatte has 7 years experience as a ADN, MSN, RN, NP.

756 Posts; 6,968 Profile Views

18 hours ago, ArmaniX said:

I was in theory able to take my boards prior to finishing the last semester of my program (B&M school). But it was a pure oversight in the credentialing boards side. Others in my class received and email to resend transcripts once the final semester was completed. I, however, got my seating pass and instructions on how to sign up. 

 

I always wondered if I were to have taken the exam immediately if I would’ve been awarded the certification and able to get licensed... or if it would’ve been held until completion of the semester. I didn’t experiment as I didn’t want anything bad to come to me for someone else’s oversight. 

They won't give you the official results until the official transcripts are sent. So that card verifying you passed and are certified is held until then. My school had a final class that was specifically for board prep.  Technically we could take or boards during that time, but few people did to my recollection. Transcripts wouldn't be official until we were done completely.

Edited by djmatte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1,243 Posts; 6,438 Profile Views

I worked for the state for the first few years and didn't need boards. When I finally took them, the experience was very anticlimactic. Much too easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing 0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×