Jump to content

WGU FNP 2020-2021

Posted

Specializes in Med Surg, Wound Care, Triage, Public Health. Has 4 years experience.

Hi everyone! I’ve seen several posts on this site about WGU potentially starting a FNP program. I’m currently in their BSN-MSN Leadership and Management program. I received an email from the College of Health Sciences about the FNP program starting this year for BSN-MSN students and post masters FNP starting in 2021. Any anyone else get the email and interested in the program? Any alumni get the email and planning to start? I know it’s limited to 12 states currently.

Yellownurse15, ADN, BSN, MSN, RN

Specializes in Med Surg, Wound Care, Triage, Public Health. Has 4 years experience.

On 6/20/2020 at 4:41 PM, CinLeo42 said:

WGU in AZ?

Not sure. You may have to check their website for locations but it’s an online school. I’m part of WGU North Carolina.

I’m currently in the RN-BSN program at WGU and I am considering going for the FNP down the line. Attached is a section of the email they sent out with the list of current states.

100E865D-ED4D-41C1-ABD8-1DC28452A71B.png

I’m located in Florida...

Yellownurse15, ADN, BSN, MSN, RN

Specializes in Med Surg, Wound Care, Triage, Public Health. Has 4 years experience.

3 hours ago, weiny4089 said:

I’m located in Florida...

It looks you can go for the BSN- MSN program. For those of us that will have MSN already, we have to wait for more details.

21 minutes ago, Yellownurse15 said:

It looks you can go for the BSN- MSN program. For those of us that will have MSN already, we have to wait for more details.

How are you liking the leadership and management program? Do you regret going that route rather than just going straight from BSN to FNP?

Yellownurse15, ADN, BSN, MSN, RN

Specializes in Med Surg, Wound Care, Triage, Public Health. Has 4 years experience.

17 minutes ago, weiny4089 said:

How are you liking the leadership and management program? Do you regret going that route rather than just going straight from BSN to FNP?

Overall I like the leadership program. Initially when starting nursing school I wanted to go to FNP school. But over time, that’s changed. Part of me still wants to do NP, but I can see myself more in administration. I don’t regret going this route because I was undecided. And if I ever want to do FNP, I can apply to a post master’s program. I’m glad WGU now has a program because I can apply there without having to worry about credits transferring. I know that was a concern for others in the past due to the pass/fail grading.

2 hours ago, Yellownurse15 said:

Overall I like the leadership program. Initially when starting nursing school I wanted to go to FNP school. But over time, that’s changed. Part of me still wants to do NP, but I can see myself more in administration. I don’t regret going this route because I was undecided. And if I ever want to do FNP, I can apply to a post master’s program. I’m glad WGU now has a program because I can apply there without having to worry about credits transferring. I know that was a concern for others in the past due to the pass/fail grading.

I totally know what you are saying. I switched from the RN-BSN program to the RN-MSN leadership Program and then back to the RN-BSN program because I was undecided. While I like the idea of being an NP, I still see myself in leadership or teaching in the long run.

On 6/12/2020 at 8:35 PM, Yellownurse15 said:

Hi everyone! I’ve seen several posts on this site about WGU potentially starting a FNP program. I’m currently in their BSN-MSN Leadership and Management program. I received an email from the College of Health Sciences about the FNP program starting this year for BSN-MSN students and post masters FNP starting in 2021. Any anyone else get the email and interested in the program? Any alumni get the email and planning to start? I know it’s limited to 12 states currently.

I’m in Thebes program, so far not so bad 

39 minutes ago, Jbrn said:

I’m in Thebes program, so far not so bad 

What state are you in? Have you been able to set up clinical placement with a preceptor without much difficulty? That’s my major concern..

On 9/13/2020 at 2:27 PM, weiny4089 said:

What state are you in? Have you been able to set up clinical placement with a preceptor without much difficulty? That’s my major concern..

I'm in Texas, I didn't have any issues my job allowed me to do all my clinicals with them. I just had to do all the footwork with all the paperwork. 

GrenIedGal, BSN, RN

Has 2 years experience.

Anyone in the new FNP program? Would love to connect and hear info!

Hey I am 

GrenIedGal, BSN, RN

Has 2 years experience.

15 minutes ago, Jbrn said:

Hey I am 

awesome. I'll pm you.

Talk about it here so we can get some info too 😁

GrenIedGal, BSN, RN

Has 2 years experience.

Sure! I didn't want to ask all my specific questions on the thread that wouldn't be applicable to everyone but happy to share! In a nutshell (and Jbrn you can correct me if I misunderstood), my broader questions were in regards to clinical timeline and preceptors. I did the prelicensure program through WGU and wanted to know if the classes were similar (and to those that are familiar, it sounds like they are but with more papers and less proctored OAs.) Your 650 clinical hours are in the last 3 'internship' courses and not in the 6 core courses or 7 FNP specialty courses (another difference from prelicensure that included required clinical hours for specific classes.) Sounds like there is a required 'clinical bootcamp' before you start your first internship course.

Lastly, the Jbrn and WGU directly confirmed that students are responsible for finding their own APRN preceptors when the time comes. Your mentor can help you if you have problems but it's on the student to secure. I have a call with them early this week so if I hear anything else, I'll post it here!

You are awesome for coming back to post this info. Greatly appreciated! Yes, please let us know how the call goes and any other important info you might find out!