Pulmonary Toilet

Specialties Burn

Published

I was reading my book about burns and I came across "pulmonary toilet". I don't know what it means and it is not on the medical dictionary. It has something to do with airway clearance. I looked it up online but to no avail. Can someone please explain what is all about. thank you

Best Answer...

Pulmonary toilet involves several means to "empty" or "flush" lungs that are filled with mucous or fluids.

It eventually became a 'shortened' way of saying that a patient is going to need a lot of pulmonary rehab, which is suctioning, percussion, etc..
Specializes in ICU.

fancy name for suctioning. Can be used to include bagging and suctioning - well at least around here.

Specializes in Critical Care, Cardiac Cath Lab.

The term 'pulmonary toilet' is not specific to burn nursing. I've come across the term in all of the med/surg units I've worked in. It's my understanding that it includes all "respiratory care" (i.e. coughing, deep breathing, suctioning, percussion).

This is an OLD term referring to lung condition. Back before todays first line pulmonary antibiotics, like Ceftra, etc., pneumonias often spiralled out of control. The junk that would come out of peoples lungs in these situations was often referred to as 'pulmonary toilet', for it's literal similarity..

It eventually became a 'shortened' way of saying that a patient is going to need a lot of pulmonary rehab, which is suctioning, percussion, etc..

The term is archaic in several senses: 1. you really never see bad lungs like this anymore without a serious immuno-compromise, and 2., (as my instructor told me): pt's sometimes read their own charts, and it's not something that really has any place among proper medical descriptives.

-Troy, Respiratory Therapy

Specializes in Trauma ICU,ER,ACLS/BLS instructor.

Very much an old saying, still frequently used. It is also the most important thing for a vented patient. Pulmonay toilet really is good pulmonary hygience from the oral caviety down to the aveioli. Vented pt number one problem is pneumonia induced from poor oral hygeine ,suctioning,respiratory Rx, bronching etc. Especially in the burn pt who is so compromised to begin with!

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion.

Pulmonary toilet much more than just suctioning...see my previous posts: Pulmonary Toilet? Huh???

Specializes in Emergency, ICU, M/S, Psych, Education.

I like the previously posted comments; the acute dilemma is over, but I thought it might be helpful for anyone reading this in the future to know a few things... I think old terms hang around long after they become obsolete- we are creatures of habit. It is better to refer to respiratory toilet as "respiratory hygiene" specifically related to the measures promoting function and preventing complications. These measures are done aggressively with all patients that have risks for respiratory compromise.

Specializes in Infectious Disease, Neuro, Research.
I was reading my book about burns and I came across "pulmonary toilet". I don't know what it means and it is not on the medical dictionary. It has something to do with airway clearance. I looked it up online but to no avail. Can someone please explain what is all about. thank you

Where I work, that is the restroom in the Pulmonary Chairman's office...

+ Add a Comment