Dismissed shoplifting charge

Nurses Criminal

Published

I have a dismissed shoplifting charge from years ago. I still am able to obtain a finger print clearance card but am not sure if it is going to effect my clinicals or background check when I start nursing school? I live in AZ.

Specializes in med surg.

I do not know exactly how things work in AZ, but when you say dismissed, then that means you were never actually convicted? here in Cali, we only have to disclose convictions. Were you charged, but then completed a diversion? you usually have to disclose that as well. When I started nursing school, my background came back clean, but I still had to disclose everything to the nursing board. My guess is you will be able to go to school and clinicals. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Direct your questions to the admin personnel at your school of nursing. They are the ones who can tell you whether or not you will receive clearance for clinical sites. They should also be able to give you some realistic advice concerning licensure and the job market. Contact the state Board to see if they will give you any information prior to seeing your record when you apply for a license. You should get realistic information prior to making any commitments to attend and pay for, school.

I completed diversion so I was not convicted. I am worried it will get me denied. I thought doing diversion and getting it dismissed would keep it off my record but when I did my own background check on castlebranch it came up, it says dismissed but it's still there. Praying it doesn't hold me back

Well, all you can do is to try. If you don't try, you won't get what you want. If I were to guess, I would say that the Board will want to put you on a program when you get licensed, but that is a guess based on what I have read on this site. Best wishes.

You should be fine. You completed a diversion and found not guilty therefore, no program can deny you because you weren't guilty and convicted. And it's a misdemeanor petty theft charge. Not like a DUI etc. Keep me updated, I'd love to know the outcome.

Hi! I live in Az and the same exact thing happened to me. I have a dismissed shoplifting charge. Took the diversion class, but it still shows up. I went to nursing school, graduated, and was able to sit for my boards. I am currently an RN at a private pediatric practice but just had an interview with a major Phoenix hospital today. I did not disclose the charge because it's dismissal. I should know if I got the job by late this week or early next. I'll keep you updated! Don't worry, you're gonna be fine!

Hi KalDellz. Please let me know the outcome of getting the job or not. I have a friend who has the exact same charge and is awaiting to hear something back as well. Thanks :)

I was just offered a position with Banner! You're going to be fine! No need to disclose it to anyone!!!!

good luck!

Congrats! They've already ran the background check on you?

They did!

Background check is done as well as the physical, new hire appointment, etc. It's dimissed and legally employers aren't supposed to consider dismissed charges (although Az is a right to work state so things are different).

But, I was working as an RN at a private pediatric practice for 5 months before landing a new grad job in a hospital. So, don't get discouraged if you don't hear back right away.

I will. I'm currently on the waiting list and once I'm placed they will run their background checks and I will find out then

+ Add a Comment