Exactly almost a month ago, I went on an interview for my dream job. (link to that thread: https://allnurses.com/nursing-first-job/looking-need-some-961784.html) It was at a pretty well-known company that specializes in psych patients and substance abuse. I have such a passion for working with these individuals, I was beyond excited.
-Now, I'm so lost and frustrated I don't know what to do, and I would love advice from the nurses on AN. You all are wonderful, and amazing, and I would really appreciate it. I also apologize for it being a long story, thank you for sticking it out.
Since the interview this is what has occurred:
1) About a week an a half after the interview I received a call from the recruiter who had originally called me to set up the interview. He verbally offered me the job that I had been interviewed for (LPN job) and I was ecstatic! He told me the salary and said that Human Resources would be in touch with me to do the follow up paper work. I said "Great, and I accept" This was on Dec 2nd.
2) After a few days of not hearing anything from HR, (now Dec 5th) I emailed the recruiter back and very "breezily" asked if there was anything else that he needed from me before HR contacted me etc. He said "No" but that HR would be in contact with me shortly. HR called me about an hour after that and set up appointments for me to have my finger printing and drug test done. I scheduled the earliest appointment that they had (the next day.) So far so good.
3) Had my fingerprints and drug test done the next day. and waited...and waited some more.
4) 7 days after I completed my finger printing and drug test, I still had no response from them. I decided to email the recruiter, he asked if I had received a packet from them and I told him "No" (because I hadn't.) He apologized and said I should be receiving and hearing from HR soon.
5) About 5 min before they closed last friday, I had received a hasty phone call from HR and told that I had to complete a packet this weekend, and to fill out and scan and fax everything (about 70 pages worth of stuff to them over the weekend etc) I was to call her on Monday after to follow up with her. She kind of rushed me off the phone (it was a friday and the HR department was closing for the weekend though.)
6) Over the weekend I completed everything (I mean everything) that I could. Including my w2 form, and the 40 page human resources manual, I also had to re-do the application, and send my nursing diploma and registration, drivers license, and birth certificate again. (even though I had already sent this stuff to the person I had an interview with originally.) I e-faxed them to her that weekend. The only thing that I couldn't complete was the medical packet(I had to have a physical filled out by my doctor, and a PPD within 30 days, and copies of my titers. So I called my doctors office (luckily they are open Saturday) and my doctor was booked up until January, I begged and pleaded with the secretary and explained why I needed to see a doctor (any doctor) and she fit me in on Mon morning (not with my own doctor, but that didn't matter at this point.)
7) Monday morning (as instructed) I called the HR person. She said she received them and thanked me. She said that as soon as I have my medical documentation filled out and a copy of my PPD within 30 days, that she would call me and we would talk about a start date etc. I go to my doctors appointment, since I had to get a new PPD, I had to come back 48 hours later (wed) (so I left my physical with her to fill out and everything was fine.)
8) The next day (Tues) I had a call from someone in HR, and was asked to re-scan and fax copies of my license and a few other things again (they weren't clear enough.) I did and sent it to them within a half hour.
9) Wed am- I went to my doctor appointment and had my ppd read (neg) everything that they asked for on the physical was filled out and done. I rushed home and faxed everything to them (late morning at this point.) I then tried to call to see if they got it and this is when things got strange. The phone rang and went to voice mail. However, I couldn't even leave one because the voicemail was full. Strange, but wasn't worried because HR is probably swamped. So I just email them my physical and ppd (in case they didn't get the fax.) This was on wed and I never heard back from them that day.
10) Next day (thurs) I tried calling to confirm and it rang briefly and went to voicemail (couldn't leave one again because It was full.) I called 3 times on Wed and no one answered and I couldn't leave a voice mail because it was full. I was starting to get nervous ,especially because I was told that as soon as I sent it, that we would talk about my start date etc.
11) I called on Friday morning and the same thing happened. I decided to relax and take a deep breath (had some coffee, made breakfast) and to call them back one more time before getting upset (since I had been trying for a few days now with no response.) This time she picked up. I felt relieved, but then that faded. I asked if she received my fax/e-mail on wed (she said she did.) She said that she would be looking over everything. She said "Have a good weekend) and I said the same and then I apologized in case I was bugging her (even though I couldn't even leave any voice mails during the days that I called, but still.) Never heard a response from them after (I was kind of hoping that since she received my physical and ppd that we could talk about my start date, like she had said.)
12) My friends and family brought it to my attention that something is just "not right" with this company at this point and time. I has almost officially been a month since my interview: I only get a call from them after I email them, asking if there's anything else that they need, and they said that it sounds like I was actually supposed to receive this huge packet way back on December 2rd after I formally accepted the position. Not 2 weeks after I had accepted, and then told to complete it by the weekend and expect to have a full physical and ppd completed etc. Also I have yet to receive a start date, even after I had completed everything I was told to. I wanted to defend the company, but honesty my friends and father are right.
- If I didn't email the recruiter asking him if there was anything else needed, and briefly mentioning that I hadn't spoken with HR yet. I would have NEVER even known when or where to go to complete my drug testing or finger printing in the first place. If I had never (again) reached out to the recruiter 7 days after completing my drug test/ finger printing, I would have never know about this huge packet of stuff I had to fill out, or about my physical and 30 day ppd that I was required to get. HR would have never even contacted me.
- I'm frustrated because the other graduates in my class haven't seemed to have to wait this long, and were told their official start dates etc. I have also spent money (what very little I had) on copays (2 of them) at my doctors for my physical and PPD, and had purchased a few new pair of new scrubs (cardigans) and nursing shoes, after I had my drug screen and fingerprinting. I also had a few days of not being able to reach her at all for a few days, after doing the final thing left (physical and ppd) that I had to complete.
- The other thing is that when I briefly talked to her today, I felt "rushed and pushed off" originally- however, after I apologized, she sounded like she felt "pity" toward me when she said "I'll look over everything" and when she told me to "Have a good weekend." She never told me when to expect follow up though, and she didn't talk about my "start date" like she had originally said we would after she received everything. It's been almost officially a month since the interview and I feel like I'm right back to where I started.
- I'm not sure what to do at this point. I feel so sad about this, I was so excited to be working for this company. My fiance said that on Monday I should e-mail or call her and just ask when my official start date is, and if she can't give me one to request a formal job offer in writing. (I still have to voicemail saved from Dec 2nd- offering me the job(before I called them right back to accept) .)
- I expected my fiance and parents, friends etc to tell me to just relax at this point (in my last post, I was a little high strung.) Now they are saying the opposite and that "Something is fishy" because its been so long at this point, and it odd that " I don't have a start date", and that they "didn't answer their phone the last few days", and "I'm always the one to initiate contact with them before they actually do anything" etc.
What do you guys think? I would love opinions and advice on what to do at this point from my fellow nurses who have been in this position before. I thank you in advance.