Army AMEDD DCC 2021

Published

New 1LT 66S here, awaiting orders from HRC (activation orders and commissioning already done). Can anyone who has completed Army DCC in the last year PLEASE shed some light on your experience? Especially about the daily PT, the APFT, the diagnostic ACFT, etc.  I see a lot of questions and answers about "when" people plan to go or what DCC is, but not any insight on the experience itself. Especially during COVID. 

Thanks! 

Specializes in CEN. Has 9 years experience.

Hi! Congratulations on your commission!

I took DCC last February (pre-COVID) and I think there have been a couple changes since then, but I can tell you about my experience there. You have PT daily during the week and I felt the cadre did a great job in organizing different activities for PT every day. What they had us do was all in preparation for the ACFT events. We did not do an APFT at all during DCC. The ACFT was diagnostic and you are not required to pass in order to graduate the course but you should still try to do your best so you have an idea of what you need to work on in the future.

Besides PT, the first couple weeks is mostly in the classroom. You will also review/learn DNC, standing in formation, wearing the uniform, marching, etc. Basic Army stuff. The third week is the most fun. This is when you get to do Land Nav, go to the range, gas chamber, and do the ACFT. You will do at least 3-4 ruck marches during the course. The max we did was about 4 miles. I find them fun! ? A lot of people hate them, though. We also were assigned a book to read and create a brief to present in front of the class (this was a small group project). I'm not sure if they still do this, I have heard the new class has a final exam that asks you questions about info you've learned in the classroom. I can't speak to this, though.

Your days start very early with PT and will go until 6pm-ish usually. Then you have free time during the evening until lights-out. You can do what you want during this time. Go to the gym, do laundry, relax, etc.

Overall, it was kind of a long and boring course. Ft Sill is cold and WINDY. Bring warmer bedding. What you are issued won't cut it, especially if you go in Winter. You will be allowed to go to the PX on the weekends where you can get snacks and food. I suggest bringing snacks for the first week to tide you over until the first weekend.

Specializes in PCU/Step-Down, Satellite ER. Has 10 years experience.
11 minutes ago, michksmith14 said:

Hi! Congratulations on your commission!

I took DCC last February (pre-COVID) and I think there have been a couple changes since then, but I can tell you about my experience there. You have PT daily during the week and I felt the cadre did a great job in organizing different activities for PT every day. What they had us do was all in preparation for the ACFT events. We did not do an APFT at all during DCC. The ACFT was diagnostic and you are not required to pass in order to graduate the course but you should still try to do your best so you have an idea of what you need to work on in the future.

Besides PT, the first couple weeks is mostly in the classroom. You will also review/learn DNC, standing in formation, wearing the uniform, marching, etc. Basic Army stuff. The third week is the most fun. This is when you get to do Land Nav, go to the range, gas chamber, and do the ACFT. You will do at least 3-4 ruck marches during the course. The max we did was about 4 miles. I find them fun! ? A lot of people hate them, though. We also were assigned a book to read and create a brief to present in front of the class (this was a small group project). I'm not sure if they still do this, I have heard the new class has a final exam that asks you questions about info you've learned in the classroom. I can't speak to this, though.

Your days start very early with PT and will go until 6pm-ish usually. Then you have free time during the evening until lights-out. You can do what you want during this time. Go to the gym, do laundry, relax, etc.

Overall, it was kind of a long and boring course. Ft Sill is cold and WINDY. Bring warmer bedding. What you are issued won't cut it, especially if you go in Winter. You will be allowed to go to the PX on the weekends where you can get snacks and food. I suggest bringing snacks for the first week to tide you over until the first weekend.

Thank you SO much!! This was very helpful. I did hear that you might have to pass the APFT at least now and yes you are right about the ACFT being diagnostic. I'm grateful for that! LOL. I was told I should be leaving at the earliest March but could also leave in June... (shrugs). The suspense is killing me! Hopefully HRC will drop my orders soon though so I can plan my life out. 

Specializes in Cardiothoracic and Transplant ICU. Has 4 years experience.

I am a 66S as well (Selected Last April), Currently waiting to get another physical done before being able to get commissioning orders. I hope I will be able to get into the DCC class starting at the beginning of June. 

Specializes in CEN. Has 9 years experience.
15 hours ago, ReconMedic said:

I am a 66S as well (Selected Last April), Currently waiting to get another physical done before being able to get commissioning orders. I hope I will be able to get into the DCC class starting at the beginning of June. 

Damn! I'm sure they're blaming COVID for the wait?? Hope you can get the physical done soon so you can commission. I'm currently transitioning from Reserve to AD and waiting for my AD orders. Just re-commissioned last week! I was told AD orders are currently taking 4-6 months ?

Specializes in PCU/Step-Down, Satellite ER. Has 10 years experience.
15 hours ago, ReconMedic said:

I am a 66S as well (Selected Last April), Currently waiting to get another physical done before being able to get commissioning orders. I hope I will be able to get into the DCC class starting at the beginning of June. 

 

11 minutes ago, michksmith14 said:

Damn! I'm sure they're blaming COVID for the wait?? Hope you can get the physical done soon so you can commission. I'm currently transitioning from Reserve to AD and waiting for my AD orders. Just re-commissioned last week! I was told AD orders are currently taking 4-6 months ?

Wooow! So I was told 45-60 days (commissioned in Dec 2020). I just contacted the gentleman that schedules classes and my packet didn't even make it to his desk yet. Come to find out I was missing a DA3838 form that just merely needed to be signed and sent back. Supposedly recruitment had no idea this form needed to be sent up or that it existed in applications past. What makes matters more interesting, is the day before I contacted recruitment was my actual recruiters last day and she had just turned her phone back in, meaning had I not contacted anyone at the time I did I probably would just be sitting here twiddling my thumbs.... the scheduler basically told me the next class isn't until June, so "we have time to wait" so I guess I'm not leaving in March like I was initially told I might leave. 

Specializes in Cardiothoracic and Transplant ICU. Has 4 years experience.
4 hours ago, michksmith14 said:

Damn! I'm sure they're blaming COVID for the wait?? Hope you can get the physical done soon so you can commission. I'm currently transitioning from Reserve to AD and waiting for my AD orders. Just re-commissioned last week! I was told AD orders are currently taking 4-6 months ?

Yeah, I’m prior enlisted so I know how long the Army usually takes by getting things done, but I didn’t think it would take this long! The only reason why I’m needing a second physical is because my recruiter messed up on a document for my first one ?.. I have heard that usually the wait is 6 months after commissioning... it might not be until next year before they cut my orders to attend training. ??

Specializes in CEN. Has 9 years experience.
On 2/28/2021 at 12:36 PM, Nurse_Boo said:

 

Wooow! So I was told 45-60 days (commissioned in Dec 2020). I just contacted the gentleman that schedules classes and my packet didn't even make it to his desk yet. Come to find out I was missing a DA3838 form that just merely needed to be signed and sent back. 

Dang! I like the sounds of those numbers better! I'll have to ask my recruiter about that form just to be sure. I'm hoping the fact that I've already been to DCC will help me get orders sooner, I just need to go to BOLC ?

On 2/28/2021 at 4:40 PM, ReconMedic said:

I have heard that usually the wait is 6 months after commissioning... 

Yeah, I have heard that as well. That is what my recruiter estimated me too. 4-6 months. I also read the same thing on RallyPoint. I guess we'll find out!

Specializes in PCU/Step-Down, Satellite ER. Has 10 years experience.
28 minutes ago, michksmith14 said:

Dang! I like the sounds of those numbers better! I'll have to ask my recruiter about that form just to be sure. I'm hoping the fact that I've already been to DCC will help me get orders sooner, I just need to go to BOLC ?

Yeah, I have heard that as well. That is what my recruiter estimated me too. 4-6 months. I also read the same thing on RallyPoint. I guess we'll find out!

What?! I never knew you could go to DCC without your full orders. They were telling me I would get all my orders (DCC, BOLC, PCS) at once... ? And I wish I would've been told 4-6 months, I wouldn't be sitting here holding my breath...then again I am active duty. Not sure if that makes a difference 

Specializes in Cardiothoracic and Transplant ICU. Has 4 years experience.
8 minutes ago, Nurse_Boo said:And I wish I would've been told 4-6 months, I wouldn't be sitting here holding my breath...then again I am active duty. Not sure if that makes a difference 

Yeah I’m AD as well... I’ve actually heard the process is slower for Reserve applicants.

Specializes in CEN. Has 9 years experience.

Yeah, I think I have a very odd path going from reserve to AD and my reserve unit kinda not making sure I got what I needed the last 2.5 years. But I’m released from them. Discharge orders in hand. AD contract signed. Just waiting like you guys ??‍♀️

Specializes in Cardiothoracic and Transplant ICU. Has 4 years experience.
On 3/1/2021 at 8:12 PM, michksmith14 said:

Yeah, I think I have a very odd path going from reserve to AD and my reserve unit kinda not making sure I got what I needed the last 2.5 years. But I’m released from them. Discharge orders in hand. AD contract signed. Just waiting like you guys ??‍♀️

I remember reading your comments on the FY19 posts haha! You waited forever on orders.