Recently graduated facing potential legal situation

Nurses Career Support

Published

So I presently work as a CNA Until I am able to take and pass my NCLEX. At my job today, I was called into the DON's office regarding a situation that happened the previous day. One of my the residents that I was assigned to happened to have an incontinence episode while at an appointment due to not being toileted. The resident is alert and oriented and never turned on his call light, but he did tell me that he told the aid who was transporting him that he had to go to the bathroom but he claimed that she didn't want to take him. Well the DON said that this situation could be reported to state agaisnt me because I didn't offer to toilet him. I did however call one of my coworkers and ask them if they could relieve me from the task that I was presently doing, or ensure that the resident be toileted. They ensured me that they would take care of toileting the resident. but apparently they did not. I am freaking out that I could potentially get slapped with a negligence charge right before obtaining my RN. I do understand now that I probably should have stopped the task that I was doing, as I was caring for a resident that I wasn't assigned to, and toileted my resident myself. What should I do if this does get reported to state?

So I presently work as a CNA Until I am able to take and pass my NCLEX. At my job today, I was called into the DON's office regarding a situation that happened the previous day. One of my the residents that I was assigned to happened to have an incontinence episode while at an appointment due to not being toileted. The resident is alert and oriented and never turned on his call light, but he did tell me that he told the aid who was transporting him that he had to go to the bathroom but he claimed that she didn't want to take him. Well the DON said that this situation could be reported to state agaisnt me because I didn't offer to toilet him. I did however call one of my coworkers and ask them if they could relieve me from the task that I was presently doing, or ensure that the resident be toileted. They ensured me that they would take care of toileting the resident. but apparently they did not. I am freaking out that I could potentially get slapped with a negligence charge right before obtaining my RN. I do understand now that I probably should have stopped the task that I was doing, as I was caring for a resident that I wasn't assigned to, and toileted my resident myself. What should I do if this does get reported to state?

That doesn't sound very serious to me. Your DON sounds like a fear-mongering "lady".

Specializes in Hospice.

That fool has frightened you with a threat that has no teeth.

+ Add a Comment