Just finished reading a thread about the ADN program at Chaffey college in So Cal. I am currently in their program so I want to give to you what I didn't have going into the program.
1. First and foremost, stay below the radar. Don't give them any reason to single you out. If you do, it will be nothing but miserable from that point forward.
2. If you find yourself the focus of their attention, do everything you can to get the attention off of you. That's all I have to say about that.
3. Remediation. If you remediate anything, regardless of what they say, it will HURT you. They have said to students that remediate, "That's okay, it will just make you a better nurse." BS ! Whatever you do avoid remediating anything.
4. MATH TEST ! They give a math test that you must pass with 100%. The best thing to do if you're serious about Chaffey College is get Dimensional Analysis down cold. You will absolutely need it for calculating dosages. Here's something to help you. Copy this and learn it. 1.8 x C + 32 = F and (F - 32) / 1.8 = C.
5. If you have trouble with any subjects and find yourself surrounded by instructors and ***** *******, be afraid, BE VERY AFRAID ! They will sit there and smile as they begin the slow process of devoring you. ******* will make comments like, "Wouldn't you rather be an LVN ?" Not that it's a bad thing but if you go there to become an RN, I suspect that you actually want to be an RN. But that's not why she's making the suggestion. She's trying to get you to quit. ******* will even offer to put you on the fast track to the LVN program, DON'T DO IT ! It's a trap.
I'm not disgruntled, but I do believe that I'm the customer who has spent a lot of money to get a product that Chaffey College has offered, and I expect Chaffey College to deliver that product to me. When I see things going on that make me concerned that they are going to take the money, run, and leave a person out in the cold, that ****** me off. And in some cases, that's what has happened in the Chaffey ADN program. If you don't learn it fast enough to suit them, they will simply write you off. That's not to say they won't work with you, but only to the point that they can document that they tried, and it's ALL YOUR FAULT.
The Chaffey ADN program has a good reputation, but what happens behind the scenes will scare the hell out of you. If you're looking for a career and you choose Chaffey, be prepared to pay for it with more than just money.