Jump to content
2019 Nursing Salary Survey Read more... ×
Emergent Emergent (Member)

Woman dies from tap water netipot use

News   (2,640 Views 23 Comments)
678 Likes; 4 Followers; 61,847 Visitors; 2,464 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.
advertisement

"Rare brain-eating amoebas."

It's horrific that a person died, but this phrase sounds like the next generation of "Sharknado" movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"Rare brain-eating amoebas."

It's horrific that a person died, but this phrase sounds like the next generation of "Sharknado" movies.

A mutation to air borne brain eating amoebas. Like Zombies that can run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A mutation to air borne brain eating amoebas. Like Zombies that can run.

We truly are in the End Times...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A mutation to air borne brain eating amoebas. Like Zombies that can run.

As a side note, one of our summer camp docs hated neti pots and those Neil Med thingies with a passion. Apparently the nasal mucosa bypasses the blood-brain barrier...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oddly enough I did a project about this very phenomenon in nursing school. It has happened a handful of times all over the world. Apparently the warning on the side of the box isn't followed very frequently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
advertisement

The headline for this story should be "Woman dies from not following the directions" but I guess that doesn't sound sensational enough. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But doctors need to be a lot more mindful about telling their patients to use one. You can't just say "try a neti pot." You have to also follow it - and use with sterile or distilled water. And she/he might even mention the risks associated with tap water. And how do you wash it out? Detergent? Tap water? Distilled? Unsure. I've used mine now only a handful of times a year, and always use distilled. But I warm it on the stove, after cleaning the pot I'm warming the water in a LOT (with distilled water). It becomes a chore. So I've opted for the saline spray from CVS. A bit less environmentally friendly, maybe, because of the plastic, but less labor intensive.

Edited by Hematocrit13
sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're supposed to use sterile water. It's on the instructions. People have no common sense.

I've also gone swimming in lakes (probably had amoebas too) and got water in my sinuses. Glad those were the regular kind I gues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You're supposed to use sterile water. It's on the instructions. People have no common sense.

I've also gone swimming in lakes (probably had amoebas too) and got water in my sinuses. Glad those were the regular kind I gues.

Distilled or sterile. Does not have to be exclusively sterile.

If you choose to make your own saltwater solution, it's important to use bottled water that has been distilled or sterilized. Tap water is acceptable if it's been passed through a filter with a pore size of 1 micron or smaller or if it's been boiled for several minutes and then left to cool until it's lukewarm.

--Mayo - but honestly I would never use tap water again. I stopped after first reading about the case in Louisiana a few years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*reads wide-eyed, then shrugs and fills Neil Med with warm tap water/salt packet for daily rinse as usual*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×