Jump to content
2019 Nursing Salary Survey Read more... ×
Vtachy1 Vtachy1 (Member)

What is your procedure for passing ice water?

Nurses   (1,303 Views 22 Comments)
1 Like; 12,466 Visitors; 444 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.
advertisement

What steps does your facility use and what type of place do you work?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We follow the highly complex, 20 step process, as mandated by 10 different regulatory agencies. The policy and procedure can be found on the intranet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Emergent said:

We follow the highly complex, 20 step process, as mandated by 10 different regulatory agencies. The policy and procedure can be found on the intranet. 

Do you have a specialized committee for this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jedrnurse said:

Do you have a specialized committee for this?

Of course. It's a requirement actually. The health department does a biannual audit to verify compliance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Emergent said:

Of course. It's a requirement actually. The health department does a biannual audit to verify compliance. 

I am sure that the always helpful JACHO is one of the regulatory agencies. I would also imagine that there are people within the hospital walking around with clipboards, checking their papers off, to make sure everyone is in compliance and writing people up when not following the correct procedure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in acute care, nights. We typically fill everyone's pitcher up at the end of the shift. If they're NPO, we remove the pitcher from the bedside. Some of our CNAs use a rolling cart to make things go faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
advertisement

OP: every facility I worked (where this was needed) CNAs/techs passed the water early in the morning (just prior to AM shift) and again in the afternoon (hospital/LTC).

Hope you don't mind the above humor!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Daisy4RN said:

OP: every facility I worked (where this was needed) CNAs/techs passed the water early in the morning (just prior to AM shift) and again in the afternoon (hospital/LTC).

Hope you don't mind the above humor!!

Humor? I hope you've done your mandatory online education on water policies and procedures young lady! 🤨

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Emergent said:

Humor? I hope you've done your mandatory online education on water policies and procedures young lady! 🤨

HaHa, I am not a young lady. I am old, tired, and not going to do my mandatory online training, so there!!:sneaky:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nurse techs fill the water pitchers with just ice for anyone on thin liquids, and not NPO. They can't take the pitchers to the nourishment room for infection control reasons, so they fill baggies and bring the ice to the room. The baggies are too small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Davey Do said:

181232208_icewater.png.7ff71986426ada9937e48f56eb2090c4.png

It helps if you have the water blessed, though. That way the inevitable soakings are with holy water. That helps the occasional patient. Nsg DX: Altered mental status due to demonic possession as evidenced by 90 y.o frail woman having the strength of six grown men...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×