Jump to content
2019 Nursing Salary Survey Read more... ×

UF accelerated BSN Summer 2019

Florida   (44,752 Views 545 Comments)
by sage-femme sage-femme (Member)

51 Likes; 1,321 Visitors; 86 Posts

advertisement

You are reading page 20 of UF accelerated BSN Summer 2019. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

40 Likes; 1 Follower; 633 Visitors; 101 Posts

16 minutes ago, AUeb97 said:

Hey guys, 

I'm definitely late to this thread, but figured I'd join in on the conversation. I met with Kenneth last week and he was extremely helpful and explained to me that grades aren't all of what the admissions board is looking for. The assessments are a huge part of it which they're currently reviewing. He told me there were over 400 applicants between Gainesville and Jacksonville locations (which terrifies me). 

My prerequisite GPA is pretty average, as is my overall last 60 hours GPA. UF is my absolute dream, praying I get in! I seriously cannot WAIT for decisions to come out in February, my interview for JU's ABSN program is February 22nd which I'm pretty sure is when we'll be hearing about the UF decisions 😵

thank you so much for the info about what Kenneth said!

& wow that is a TON of applicants!! it is so nice though that they don’t just look at grades only! 

UF is my dream as well 😍 

wishing you the best of luck at your JU interview! you’re going to crush it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 Likes; 67 Visitors; 4 Posts

20 minutes ago, AUeb97 said:

Hey guys, 

I'm definitely late to this thread, but figured I'd join in on the conversation. I met with Kenneth last week and he was extremely helpful and explained to me that grades aren't all of what the admissions board is looking for. The assessments are a huge part of it which they're currently reviewing. He told me there were over 400 applicants between Gainesville and Jacksonville locations (which terrifies me). 

My prerequisite GPA is pretty average, as is my overall last 60 hours GPA. UF is my absolute dream, praying I get in! I seriously cannot WAIT for decisions to come out in February, my interview for JU's ABSN program is February 22nd which I'm pretty sure is when we'll be hearing about the UF decisions 😵

Did you ask Kenneth about the assessments and how they evaluate the results? I was a little confused that there wasn't any feedback or result after submitting the assessment. I was curious how much information he provided regarding this. Maybe they have some kind of rubric or something along those lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

51 Likes; 1,321 Visitors; 86 Posts

1 hour ago, AUeb97 said:

my interview for JU's ABSN program is February 22nd which I'm pretty sure is when we'll be hearing about the UF decisions 😵

That’s crazy! That’ll be an interesting day for you for sure! Good luck 🍀 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McNurse1295 has 1 years experience.

74 Likes; 978 Visitors; 89 Posts

On 1/24/2019 at 5:24 PM, lemongrenades said:

Hi guys!

So I've been looking over a bunch of other requirements that other nursing schools have. I applied to UF, UNF, and UCF. So far, I got an interview from UNF and saw the cost for attending (including uniforms, supplies, and "miscellaneous"). Everything seems to add up to...quite a lot of money. I'm trying to figure out how I'll get the funds for all of it, and I know that some of these things are one-time purchases but I'm not sure about others? I know that CPR certifications have to be renewed every so often, and apparently we have to renew "MyClinical exchange", and I know some schools do random drug testing, which all comes out of the students' pockets. Does anyone know how many times we'll have to pay for these things? And is this only at UNF or is it at other schools as well? 

Any current/past nursing students/ knowledge is really appreciated! 

There are occasionally costs associated with online resources or textbooks so be prepared for that.  These things usually range from $20-$200.  My two biggest pieces of advice are to apply for any and all scholarships and DO NOT BUY THE TEXTBOOK PACKAGE.  There are many scholarship opportunities and I know several people who have gotten them.  The textbook package is a HUGE waste of money!  It's almost $1000 for books that you will never ever open.  Every class has a list of one of two books but you don't realllllyyyyy need them for each class so I recommend giving it a few weeks of class before you buy/rent.  The estimated tuition costs on UF's website are pretty accurate, so definitely check those out too!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McNurse1295 has 1 years experience.

74 Likes; 978 Visitors; 89 Posts

On 1/27/2019 at 4:40 AM, melonjuice said:

How much do you think they take into account the essay answers/patient care experience? My GPA isn’t stellar but I was hoping my experience as a Scribe/MA/CNA would give me an edge. Do you know a lot of people from your cohort that already had clinical experience? Thanks!

Hey there!  YES, most people definitely had clinical experience! As far as how important that was to the admission board, I'm not sure.  I can say for sure that those essays are important!  After eliminating people who don't meet the minimum requirements and don't give ideal answers on the personality assessment, the staff sits down and looks at the essays.  Each essay is read by several staff members and it takes a long time.  Afterwards, they hand pick their favorites and give them first choice for a seat in the class.  The rest of the applicants are ranked and put in line for a seat.  So you might be second in line for one seat out of 80, in which case you would hope that someone rejects their admission offer.  This happens a lot so don't feel discouraged if you're waitlisted!  I'm sorry that was such a long answer but I hope it helped you understand a little more about the process.  It's way more personal than my class ever thought!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McNurse1295 has 1 years experience.

74 Likes; 978 Visitors; 89 Posts

3 hours ago, Rebeccabecca said:

Did you ask Kenneth about the assessments and how they evaluate the results? I was a little confused that there wasn't any feedback or result after submitting the assessment. I was curious how much information he provided regarding this. Maybe they have some kind of rubric or something along those lines.

The personality assessment is actually important in the admission process.  The big thing they're looking for is teamwork and then morality.  I know from a staff member that if your responses indicate you don't work well with others then they will pass on you.  Teamwork is a huge part of nursing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
advertisement

10 Likes; 407 Visitors; 11 Posts

12 hours ago, Rebeccabecca said:

Did you ask Kenneth about the assessments and how they evaluate the results? I was a little confused that there wasn't any feedback or result after submitting the assessment. I was curious how much information he provided regarding this. Maybe they have some kind of rubric or something along those lines.

Yes! He said the assessments were basically there way of "interviewing" and getting to know you as a future nurse. From what he told me, they're looking for the qualities it takes to be a nurse and that is how the evaluations go from the assessment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
by TWB

22 Likes; 159 Visitors; 29 Posts

16 hours ago, AUeb97 said:

Hey guys, 

I'm definitely late to this thread, but figured I'd join in on the conversation. I met with Kenneth last week and he was extremely helpful and explained to me that grades aren't all of what the admissions board is looking for. The assessments are a huge part of it which they're currently reviewing. He told me there were over 400 applicants between Gainesville and Jacksonville locations (which terrifies me). 

My prerequisite GPA is pretty average, as is my overall last 60 hours GPA. UF is my absolute dream, praying I get in! I seriously cannot WAIT for decisions to come out in February, my interview for JU's ABSN program is February 22nd which I'm pretty sure is when we'll be hearing about the UF decisions 😵

I also I got the interview for JU on February 22nd... I’m nervous about that because it’s added pressure along with possibly finding out if I’m accepted to UF....  Im really hoping to get into rob uF as that is my dream school since i was little and it’s cheaper than JU’s program.. I wish we can find out earlier because it feels like I’m gonna have a mental breakdown waiting on decisions that will determine my life basically. Also, I’m terrible with interview so the interview with JU is also freaking me out

 

Edited by TWB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40 Likes; 1 Follower; 633 Visitors; 101 Posts

1 hour ago, TWB said:

I also I got the interview for JU on February 22nd... I’m nervous about that because it’s added pressure along with possibly finding out if I’m accepted to UF....  Im really hoping to get into rob uF as that is my dream school since i was little and it’s cheaper than JU’s program.. I wish we can find out earlier because it feels like I’m gonna have a mental breakdown waiting on decisions that will determine my life basically. Also, I’m terrible with interview so the interview with JU is also freaking me out

 

i want to wish you the very best of luck with both UF and your JU interview! 

stay calm and take it one day, one thing at a time!! you are going to do great and you will ultimately end up where you are meant to be! 

praying for you 🙂 if you ever need anyone to chat with or vent to, i’m here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

26 Likes; 343 Visitors; 33 Posts

13 hours ago, McNurse1295 said:

Hey there!  YES, most people definitely had clinical experience! As far as how important that was to the admission board, I'm not sure.  I can say for sure that those essays are important!  After eliminating people who don't meet the minimum requirements and don't give ideal answers on the personality assessment, the staff sits down and looks at the essays.  Each essay is read by several staff members and it takes a long time.  Afterwards, they hand pick their favorites and give them first choice for a seat in the class.  The rest of the applicants are ranked and put in line for a seat.  So you might be second in line for one seat out of 80, in which case you would hope that someone rejects their admission offer.  This happens a lot so don't feel discouraged if you're waitlisted!  I'm sorry that was such a long answer but I hope it helped you understand a little more about the process.  It's way more personal than my class ever thought!

HI! I just want to thank you for all your helpful insight about the admissions process. I hope you're loving the program at UF! I just had a quick question - are there many out-of-state students? I'm starting to feel discouraged about being an out-of-state applicant as I've noticed from previous years most applicants stated they lived in Florida/went to UF previously. I made the move to Jacksonville after my bachelor's degree, but I went back to Illinois for my master's since the school I received my bachelor's from offered to pay for it (I couldn't pass that up) lol. Thank you again for all of your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 Likes; 41 Visitors; 4 Posts

17 hours ago, AUeb97 said:

Hey guys, 

I'm definitely late to this thread, but figured I'd join in on the conversation. I met with Kenneth last week and he was extremely helpful and explained to me that grades aren't all of what the admissions board is looking for. The assessments are a huge part of it which they're currently reviewing. He told me there were over 400 applicants between Gainesville and Jacksonville locations (which terrifies me). 

My prerequisite GPA is pretty average, as is my overall last 60 hours GPA. UF is my absolute dream, praying I get in! I seriously cannot WAIT for decisions to come out in February, my interview for JU's ABSN program is February 22nd which I'm pretty sure is when we'll be hearing about the UF decisions 😵

Do you happen to know how many assessments were sent out? Thanks for the info!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 Likes; 170 Visitors; 18 Posts

Does anyone know if we could get the results of our assessments? I am just curious to see what it says for my own personal knowledge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×