Jump to content

"Thank you for your service"

Updated | Posted

Specializes in ER. Has 28 years experience.

how-do-you-feel-when-people-thank-you-for-your-service.jpg.d42bec0bb5d8f55216d5ec6bc327e3d7.jpg

When people find out I'm a nurse these days, they keep thanking me for my service, like they do to the military. I want to roll my eyes at this point. Is this happening to you?

macawake, MSN

Has 13 years experience.

49 minutes ago, Emergent said:

When people find out I'm a nurse these days, they keep thanking me for my service, like they do to the military. I want to roll my eyes at this point. Is this happening to you?

No, it doesn’t. I’m Scandinavian and it might be a cultural thing. No one says thank you for your service to a member of the military either and I think we would think it was a somewhat odd thing to say if someone did. It’s not something we’d say to police officers or firefighters either, and they also face a risk of physical harm at work. 

But I reckon folks say it as a way to recognize the importance of the jobs and it doesn’t seem that weird that healthcare professionals will be perhaps a bit more appreciated during a pandemic, when many more people then normal come into contact with healthcare and are reminded of how essential that service is.

Kitiger, RN

Specializes in Private Duty Pediatrics. Has 42 years experience.

11 minutes ago, macawake said:

 I’m Scandinavian . . .

I thought you were from Scotland. You've probably lived in several countries. I guess that would explain how you know so many languages. 🙂

Davey Do

Specializes in around 25 years psych, 10 years medical. Has 42 years experience.

1 hour ago, Emergent said:

When people find out I'm a nurse these days, they keep thanking me for my service, like they do to the military. I want to roll my eyes at this point. Is this happening to you?

I sell chicken eggs to a lady who, in turn, sells the at a higher price, along with the eggs from her own chickens.

I am the Eggman. Goo goo g'joob.

When we first met, I was chatting to both her and her husband and mentioned that I was a retired nurse of 36 years.

The husband immediately spoke up and said, "And we thank you for your years of service".

Hoorah.

 

Curious1997, BSN

Specializes in Psych, Medical. Has 13 years experience.

13 minutes ago, macawake said:

No, it doesn’t. I’m Scandinavian and it might be a cultural thing. No one says thank you for your service to a member of the military either and I think we would think it was a somewhat odd thing to say if someone did. It’s not something we’d say to police officers or firefighters either, and they also face a risk of physical harm at work. 

But I reckon folks say it as a way to recognize the importance of the jobs and it doesn’t seem that weird that healthcare professionals will be perhaps a bit more appreciated during a pandemic, when many more people then normal come into contact with healthcare and are reminded of how essential that service is.

It's an American thing Macawake. For some obscure reason a country that is shielded by two huge oceans and two massive countries on either border is infatuated with the military and the police and strong people. Because of my size, I notice how people capitulate to me easily and ignore the intellect. It's also really evident re females as well. They appear to be solely judged on their looks. People here is all about the exterior. In case anyone needs to respond, I'm generalizing. Our politicians have to be tall and good looking, our sports are size related generally. Unless you fit a certain criteria white Anglo Saxon looking, you are almost second class. 

I noticed the same in the UK and Denmark. People don't go around tipping or thanking people for doing their jobs. Personally, I find just like giving all the kids trophies, it's very disengenous because it's more reflexive than actually meant. 

My parents both have strong British accents which can be helpful here, but I have heard people  make fun of them pretending not to understand certain phrases or pronunciations. Both of them have seriously thick skins though and really cutting biting wit. Typically British. 

I am really alarmed by the spate of anti Asian incidents occurring here currently. 

Kitiger, RN

Specializes in Private Duty Pediatrics. Has 42 years experience.

7 minutes ago, Curious1997 said:

I am really alarmed by the spate of anti Asian incidents occurring here currently. 

I am, too. I don't see bad things happening in my immediate space, but I think I am firm enough to step up and say something if I did see it. 

I haven't been out & about in public much since COVID; that's probably why I haven't seen much,

macawake, MSN

Has 13 years experience.

27 minutes ago, Kitiger said:

I thought you were from Scotland. You've probably lived in several countries. I guess that would explain how you know so many languages. 🙂

I’m Swedish-Norwegian. I have lived in more than a dozen countries, about half of them as a child and the other half as an adult. So yes, I picked up most of the languages along the way. While I do love Scotland, the only relative as far as I’m aware is a great great great-grandfather (+/- one great) 🙂 

GrumpyRN, NP

Specializes in Emergency Department. Has 39 years experience.

1 hour ago, macawake said:

No, it doesn’t. I’m Scandinavian and it might be a cultural thing. No one says thank you for your service to a member of the military either and I think we would think it was a somewhat odd thing to say if someone did. It’s not something we’d say to police officers or firefighters either, and they also face a risk of physical harm at work. 

But I reckon folks say it as a way to recognize the importance of the jobs and it doesn’t seem that weird that healthcare professionals will be perhaps a bit more appreciated during a pandemic, when many more people then normal come into contact with healthcare and are reminded of how essential that service is.

I agree with macawake, very much an American thing. No-one in the UK would dream of "thanking" someone for their service. As far as we are concerned it is the job they chose to do and they were paid for it. 

 

1 hour ago, Kitiger said:

I thought you were from Scotland. 

It's me that's from Scotland. 😉👍

TheMoonisMyLantern, ADN, LPN, RN

Specializes in Mental health, substance abuse, geriatrics, PCU. Has 14 years experience.

I think it's so cringy when I hear someone say that to another person. I know people generally mean well, but it sounds so disingenuous. Don't get me wrong, every once in a while it's nice to get a "Thank you" from a patient/family after cleaning up an explosive bowel movement, or catching vomit with your gloved hands. But beyond that, thanks really aren't needed.

Sour Lemon

Has 9 years experience.

4 hours ago, Emergent said:

When people find out I'm a nurse these days, they keep thanking me for my service, like they do to the military. I want to roll my eyes at this point. Is this happening to you?

It's a smackable offense in my opinion, but it's socially unacceptable to strike people, of course. I tend to respond with something like, "Thank you. I am very well-paid for my service. 😉"

amoLucia

Specializes in LTC.

7 hours ago, Emergent said:

When people find out I'm a nurse these days, they keep thanking me for my service, like they do to the military. I want to roll my eyes at this point. Is this happening to you?

I thank people every day! STILL!!!

Last May during the height of the beginning covid pandemic, I was 911 admitted to 2 hospitals. What I saw that first admission was like someone stabbing me in the heart! Never in 36+ yrs active nsg did I ever see what staff had to face while they worked to save my life among the terrors of covid. Same thing with the 2nd hosp.

Those HC staff, from nurses, to transport, to OR, to xray, to hskpg, to dietary, to desk staff, etc all reported to work each day. It really hit me when I saw several 'lil mommas' ready to deliver any minute as they waddled in & out my space.

I thanked every person for 'their service' as I could.

Remember, staff were still experiencing equip deficiencies incl ever- changing official information in those early days. They were front-line there to save my life. And then there are those folk who provide the UNSEEN services - like when my home bipap/O2 concentrator failed and a tech needed to come out.  It was a service I absolutely needed that was provided without regard. I thanked him for 'his service'.

Meals-on-Wheels visits daily and I thank them for 'their service'.

Maybe because I was a direct recipient of such close services that it is all that much more poignant to me. And maybe it is really starting to sink in to the general public what HC staff must face just to do their jobs.

Two VNA nurses came out to my home Wednesday to administer my J&J covid vax. I thanked them for 'their service'. Yeah, it's their job, but many have quit such jobs bc covid.

Emergent (and others) -  please, just be gracious. I believe the speakers re sincere and thankful. And do recognize you for your service.

8 hours ago, GrumpyRN said:

I agree with macawake, very much an American thing. No-one in the UK would dream of "thanking" someone for their service.

Just the services mentioned so far, or just the "for your service" part specifically, or...?

Curious!

Emergent, RN

Specializes in ER. Has 28 years experience.

4 hours ago, JKL33 said:

Just the services mentioned so far, or just the "for your service" part specifically, or...?

Curious!

Just that, the British don't thank random nurses for being nurses, methinks...

 

macawake, MSN

Has 13 years experience.

7 hours ago, JKL33 said:

Just the services mentioned so far, or just the "for your service" part specifically, or...?

Curious!

I know you were asking Grumpy, but I’ll answer for my part of Europe although I suspect that the reply might apply for the rest of Europe as well. It’s the ”for your service” part. If you get a monthly paycheck it’s a job. It’s not viewed as doing something out of the ordinary. Sure, some jobs might involve more stressors than others, but most jobs have them in some shape or form. 

Most people would probably feel a bit embarrassed if some random stranger thanked them for their service. Service would be something that a person volunteers without getting any financial reward. 

SmilingBluEyes

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis. Has 24 years experience.

I used to feel embarassed being thanked for military and nursing "service" but I realize it's people being nice. So I simply say "you are more than welcome" and get on with it.

GrumpyRN, NP

Specializes in Emergency Department. Has 39 years experience.

3 hours ago, macawake said:

I know you were asking Grumpy, but I’ll answer for my part of Europe although I suspect that the reply might apply for the rest of Europe as well. It’s the ”for your service” part. If you get a monthly paycheck it’s a job. It’s not viewed as doing something out of the ordinary. Sure, some jobs might involve more stressors than others, but most jobs have them in some shape or form. 

Most people would probably feel a bit embarrassed if some random stranger thanked them for their service. Service would be something that a person volunteers without getting any financial reward. 

Thank you macawake, that is exactly what I meant, as you say a European thing.

I want to make it absolutely clear (and I'm sure macawake is the same), we do thank people for WHAT they have done for us but not for some random nebulous "thing" that they may or may not do/have done.

Over the last year people were going outside on Thursday night and applauding the NHS to "thank them". I tried to avoid it as, even though I am retired, it felt very self serving (should add, that I did go out). My wife on the other hand, who is still working as a nurse (with sick covid patients), went out and did it "for her colleagues." My wife was in a supermarket at the height (or the low) of the first lock-down at a time set aside for NHS workers and elderly and a cashier thanked her - she was very embarrassed as she did not feel she deserved that and also the cashier should have been the one being thanked.

37 minutes ago, GrumpyRN said:

I want to make it absolutely clear (and I'm sure macawake is the same), we do thank people for WHAT they have done for us but not for some random nebulous "thing" that they may or may not do/have done.

Thank you.  I had hoped that was the case and that's why I asked.

And thanks for the reply @macawake.

I don't need any thanks but at the same time there are people whose gratitude is genuine; this is known by their follow-up comments (as opposed to people who might say some rote thing because they believe it makes them sound good).

People express themselves in all sorts of different ways. For example, where I am I have noticed that people who thank others for their "service" are simply those who are not really emotionally expressive types--but they do have gratitude.

Hm. So I guess unless I have a good reason to believe the comment is insincere I wouldn't make too much of it or judge it too harshly.

0.9%NormalSarah, ADN, RN

Specializes in ICU. Has 2 years experience.

3 hours ago, SmilingBluEyes said:

I used to feel embarassed being thanked for military and nursing "service" but I realize it's people being nice. So I simply say "you are more than welcome" and get on with it.

Same here! I have been thanked many times grabbing coffee on the way to national guard duty or in my scrubs before work. I get very embarrassed when others turn to look, I just don’t know what to do with that attention. I just try and smile and thank them for being kind. I know they mean well, but if they knew I was someone who is shy around those I don’t know, they’d probably leave me alone! 

Edited by 0.9%NormalSarah