Another Pay Question!

  1. If you can answer, anybody know the pay rate range for TN....specifically Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, or even (smaller town) Greeneville??? I would appreciate the info.
  2. Visit NursesRmofun profile page

    About NursesRmofun, RN

    Joined: Mar '04; Posts: 6,243; Likes: 1,425
    from US
    Specialty: Getting gingerale

    35 Comments

  3. by   willdgate
    Memphis can range from 17-19.00 for new RN + shift differentials * I lived there*

    Nashville if can get them to call back 17-18 new RN + shift differentials

    Knoxville no comment
    Last edit by willdgate on Sep 28, '06
  4. by   Mommy TeleRN
    I have been hearing 19-20 base memphis, around 18 nashville & jackson, around 16.50-17 knoxville. I also hear around 16-17 for johnson city so I'm guessing Greenville would probably be in that same 17ish range. Unfortunately COL is higher in East TN yet pay hasn't kept up
  5. by   NursesRmofun
    Thanks so much! I really appreciate it. Thinking of moving to TN in a year or two....but just that....thinking of it. It's probably a 40-60 chance. 40% chance I will and 60% chance I won't....but your answers helped a lot. Hope the pay goes up soon....
  6. by   Mommy TeleRN
    I know it doesn't sound like big bucks. But you have to take in the low cost of living. There is a thread on the news section here at allnurses that shows a study done with COL factored in. TN was overall #32 in pay, BUT when you factor in the COL it moved all the way up to #7. I can make $20/hr in Memphis + shift diffs.. a new nurse can actually make close to $30 working nights/weekends. If you can get on a Baylor program exclusively weekend you can make 40-45/hr.
    Now I live about 80 miles outside Memphis and I can buy a 3br for like 60-70k. For 200,000 I can buy a very nice house with lots of acreage. Wooded land runs 2-3k acre...
    Now I've thought about moving to someplace like NC and nursing pay is very similar, yet housing is much higher. I have looked at lots of other states and I think my money will go much further towards a good quality of living around here. Of course my personal goal is to have a nice house and land. If you say wanted to rent an apt and do lots of fun city stuff then it might pay off to move to a higher col area...
    But anyway I thought that study was pretty interesting. I mean yea in Cali you might make $50/hr but what would cost like 200k here would cost 800k there or more.
    Of course as I said COL is much higher in East TN and wages are lower... so the $ go further over here in West TN...
    What area do you live in now?
  7. by   military spouse
    Quote from Mommy Nurse2b
    I know it doesn't sound like big bucks. But you have to take in the low cost of living. There is a thread on the news section here at allnurses that shows a study done with COL factored in. TN was overall #32 in pay, BUT when you factor in the COL it moved all the way up to #7. I can make $20/hr in Memphis + shift diffs.. a new nurse can actually make close to $30 working nights/weekends. If you can get on a Baylor program exclusively weekend you can make 40-45/hr.
    Now I live about 80 miles outside Memphis and I can buy a 3br for like 60-70k. For 200,000 I can buy a very nice house with lots of acreage. Wooded land runs 2-3k acre...
    Now I've thought about moving to someplace like NC and nursing pay is very similar, yet housing is much higher. I have looked at lots of other states and I think my money will go much further towards a good quality of living around here. Of course my personal goal is to have a nice house and land. If you say wanted to rent an apt and do lots of fun city stuff then it might pay off to move to a higher col area...
    But anyway I thought that study was pretty interesting. I mean yea in Cali you might make $50/hr but what would cost like 200k here would cost 800k there or more.
    Of course as I said COL is much higher in East TN and wages are lower... so the $ go further over here in West TN...
    What area do you live in now?
    Hello,
    I would love to hear more about areas where housing is so inexpensive
    Thank you,
    Erin
  8. by   charebec65
    My sister in law's home in Jackson, TN didn't cost a lot more than mine here in SW Ohio. I have a 2,150 sq.ft. bi-level on 1/2 acre. She has a 3,000+ sq. ft. 2 story with an inground pool, pool house on about 5 acres. Base pay sounds like it's also higher down there....
  9. by   Mommy TeleRN
    Rumor has it Jackson base pay is going up to 19.xx/hr for new grads. I may have to reconsider my hesitation to work in Jackson as it's a heck of a lot closer than Memphis..if pay is the same... just gotta find a good floor as a lot of them have very bad turnover.
  10. by   charebec65
    I don't remember which hospital my SIL works in but she does a Baylor type deal and loves it. It works out great for a single mom too.
  11. by   meandragonbrett
    All of the floors in Jackson have a high turnover. Stay away from 8W, 8N, and 10N (has to deal with floor management). 5N is a busy floor if you like to work.
  12. by   Mommy TeleRN
    Is 5N the GI med surg floor?

    I have heard plenty bad from some of the others you mention. I think one of those is the one I heard was offering like a 8k sign on bonus to try and get nurses to work on that floor..not a good sign.
  13. by   navynurse06
    I lived in East Tn all my life until I joined the Navy. In fact, I was born an raised in Greeneville.
    As far as COL is low. My 1st apt the rent was only $305/month. My parents have a 3 bd/2ba, 2 car gar. and 1 acre lot and there house payment is only $600 or so a month. ($90,000 house).
    I know that when I was looking for jobs in Johson City with is 45 mins north of Greeneville, the starting wages were $16 or $17/hr. Johnson City has the only magnet hosptial in Tn. Johnson city Medical Center.
    I hope that helps.
    I know it sounds like the pay isn't very good. But you must take in to consideration the COL. So for the area its pretty good.
    Also, East Tn is a great place to live. Its very beautiful area. I miss home(can you tell).
  14. by   meandragonbrett
    Vandy just went through the magnet survey.

close