Jump to content
2019 Nursing Salary Survey Read more... ×

Teacher awesomeness

School   (552 Views 11 Comments)
by ruby_jane ruby_jane, BSN, RN (Member) Nurse

ruby_jane has 10 years experience as a BSN, RN.

953 Likes; 2 Followers; 6,739 Visitors; 1,976 Posts

advertisement

Bus driver brought a preK-er in first thing this morning. Kid is coughing, normotempive. I called down to the preK room to explain why I was sending a coughing, afebrile kid back - PreK teacher says "Oh, he coughs like that when he wants to get out of going to school." Me: That's really effective. PKT: "Yup, we thought we had everyone trained. I'll speak to the bus barn."

6th grade teacher pops her head in - "Just wanted you to know, there's a kid who told me he feels like he's going to throw up. He's switching classes but I told him he needed to puke in the wastebasket and bring it to the nurse."

This is one of those days when it feels like we're all in this together up in here.

HSM.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nmr79 works as a School Nurse.

16 Likes; 1,408 Visitors; 191 Posts

That's awesome!  Life is just better when it feels like you're all on the same team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tining has 23 years experience as a BSN, RN and works as a School Nurse.

148 Likes; 12,964 Visitors; 598 Posts

image.png.c62e330bfd539365542a739b3fc817bd.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MrNurse(x2) has 28 years experience as a ADN and works as a RN.

211 Likes; 2 Followers; 8,932 Visitors; 2,336 Posts

Amazing how school nurses get jazzed being able to visualize the emesis!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OldDude works as a School Nurse.

937 Likes; 5 Followers; 1 Article; 27,731 Visitors; 4,559 Posts

You trained em up right!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

419 Likes; 1 Follower; 641 Visitors; 203 Posts

On 2/6/2019 at 2:09 PM, MrNurse(x2) said:

Amazing how school nurses get jazzed being able to visualize the emesis!

Or even better!! To not be called to the scene of possible vomit as if you can magically stop it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
advertisement

419 Likes; 1 Follower; 641 Visitors; 203 Posts

Unlike the PE coach who totally interrupted me while I was with a parent to talk about his diarrhea. I mean, really???? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ruby_jane has 10 years experience as a BSN, RN.

953 Likes; 2 Followers; 6,739 Visitors; 1,976 Posts

New one today: I was in a second grade classroom dropping off (another) vision screening referral request to go home in a back pack. The teacher has a relative at the school whom I treated on Monday. 

Teacher tells the class about the relative, the illness, how "the nurse came running" (that wasn't true but I did walk with purpose), how I "fixed everything" and "how lucky we are to have this nurse." And then I got an ovation and some daps. 

BEST DAY EVER!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glitternurse has 1 years experience as a LVN and works as a School LVN.

91 Likes; 1,087 Visitors; 160 Posts

27 minutes ago, ruby_jane said:

New one today: I was in a second grade classroom dropping off (another) vision screening referral request to go home in a back pack. The teacher has a relative at the school whom I treated on Monday. 

Teacher tells the class about the relative, the illness, how "the nurse came running" (that wasn't true but I did walk with purpose), how I "fixed everything" and "how lucky we are to have this nurse." And then I got an ovation and some daps. 

BEST DAY EVER!

WooHoo!!!! that is so awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tining has 23 years experience as a BSN, RN and works as a School Nurse.

148 Likes; 12,964 Visitors; 598 Posts

What I wrote to a teacher that brought a student down:

Thank you for walking that young lady to see me.  I usually discount the ‘heart hurts’ complaint as children do not usually have heart attacks without known cardiac problems or the stories you hear about the student athletes that just drop.  Generally a child’s airway has to be blocked to develop into a heart attack.  I still check them out any way.  However, this young lady’s heart rate was 140 – resting.  That is a vigorous exercise heart rate.  Both parents are nurses and came right away – in 30 minutes with her little brother.  I asked them to call with any updates.  Again, thank you for walking her to see me.  You are my TOY! (Teacher of the Year)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ruby_jane has 10 years experience as a BSN, RN.

953 Likes; 2 Followers; 6,739 Visitors; 1,976 Posts

On 3/1/2019 at 3:44 PM, tining said:

What I wrote to a teacher that brought a student down:

Thank you for walking that young lady to see me.  I usually discount the ‘heart hurts’ complaint as children do not usually have heart attacks without known cardiac problems or the stories you hear about the student athletes that just drop.  Generally a child’s airway has to be blocked to develop into a heart attack.  I still check them out any way.  However, this young lady’s heart rate was 140 – resting.  That is a vigorous exercise heart rate.  Both parents are nurses and came right away – in 30 minutes with her little brother.  I asked them to call with any updates.  Again, thank you for walking her to see me.  You are my TOY! (Teacher of the Year)

You are my NOY! Hope all is well with that little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×