Well, MarLynn, seeing as how I've contributed to the talking about the 'down' side of nursing, let me see what I can come up with about the 'up' side!
1. I love the fact that, in nursing, you don't have to work 9-5. You don't even have to work days. Since I'm a night-owl, that is a big thing.
2. I love the fact that you can work three 12 hour shifts, and then be off for four days in a row. Very nice.
3. It is wonderful to know you can move anywhere in the country, and even in other countries, and know you'll get a job - quickly too.
4. Good feeling knowing that you won't have to struggle at minimium wage.
5. Great knowing you will be working in 'right livelihood' - knowing you are helping others, and respected by others as well.
6. I love the way you can always find another area of nursing to move into if you get burned out or just tired of a particular field. I've worked in everything from newborn ICU, to med/surg., emergency room, developmental disabilities, chemical dependency, ophthalmology etc.
That is what I truly love about nursing.