OR orientation general question

Specialties Operating Room

Published

Specializes in psych, medical, drug rehab.

Hello everyone,

Just wondering what is the usual amount of time to train and orient a new Circulator at your place of employment before they are unleashed on their own.

Trying to get a gauge on what it is like around the country.

Yes, I am a new Circulator( not a new nurse) just enrolled in Periop 101 Course and trying to get a sense of what is happening around the USA.

Thanks in advance

Specializes in OR, Nursing Professional Development.

It depends a bit, but generally a solid 16-25 weeks with a 1:1 preceptor depending on the number of specialties expected. One of our buildings is solely women's surgery- the orientation there is shorter than in our trauma facility, where everyone is expected to be able to do all specialties as part of the trauma team (yes, all OR staff rotate through trauma and through all specialties in this building). Then the orientees have a 2 month "solo" period where they are not quite 100% on their own, but rather than a 1:1 preceptor, we have a resource person for every 3 orientees. At the end of this last 2 months, they are considered signed off of orientation. For orientees who need it, extra time is given.

Usually 6-9 months around here.

I recently resigned as OR educator at a facility that started enforcing a max of 16 weeks at a busy trauma center doing all specialties. Then these people were expected to take call and off shifts immediately. It just wasn't enough time and I felt it was unsafe. I couldn't be a part of it.

Specializes in psych, medical, drug rehab.

Oh my gosh!

Yes, absolutely unsafe.

You stated," usually 6-9 months around here". Where would "here" be?

+ Add a Comment