Cpr

Nurses General Nursing

Published

The other day there was a patient that coded (not mine) and cpr was given for an hour. Patient didnt make it. People were jumping in doing compressions and my one coworker told me to jump in because I have support all around me so what harm can I do? I was scared and intimidated. What if I look stupid and do the compressions wrong? I just observed what was going on and felt so useless. How did you react during your first code? I dont want to run away in times of need but I just couldnt find it in me to do it, especially with ribs cracking and all, it just freaked me out. Any advice or stories of your first time?

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
freckles23 said:
What if I look stupid and do the compressions wrong?

How did you react during your first code? I don't want to run away in times of need but I just couldn't find it in me to do it, especially with ribs cracking and all, it just freaked me out. Any advice or stories of your first time?

Like your coworker said, freckles, seasoned professionals would have been able to guide you.

Cracking ribs is not uncommon. It happens. I've done it before.

1992117234_Qsign.png.5086951e6c9aad9d6a2a40901f3c2eed.pngThe first time I did CPR was as an LPN student back in '83 during clinicals. I still remember the patient's name. He had gone to the ER with an ingrown toenail, was admitted for a cholecystectomy, and when I went back to his room to give him a bed bath, this is what I found:

I checked for heartbeat and breathing, dialed the operator for a code and began lowering the head of the bed when the chief of respiratory ran in with an ambu bag and began bagging the patient as I began compressions after we placed a board under him. In what seemed to be no time at all, the room was filled with professionals and equipment.

It was pretty exciting. We brought the patient back once, but lost him in the end.

I'm sorry your first experience with a code was so stressful, freckles. Next time, jump in!

The best to you!

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

Compressions are the best! The next best is to run for the crash cart (and if it happens to be plugged in, you need to unplug it). Charting is third best. Running the meds....that takes experience.

Most people who've been doing compressions for 3-4 minutes are exhausted and happy for you to take over. And if they correct your form, it's all to the good. Hang in there. Next time will be easier.

+ Add a Comment