What to expect with Foundations

Nursing Students General Students

Published

I am getting ready to start Foundations of Nursing class in just a few weeks, and am wondering what I should expect? Also, what are some tips and tried and true things to help me succeed in this course??

thanks!

I am getting ready to start Foundations of Nursing class in just a few weeks, and am wondering what I should expect? Also, what are some tips and tried and true things to help me succeed in this course??

thanks!

Read whatever information they give you and go from there. My school (and it seems like many others) have immediate drug calculation tests. if you don't meet the standard, you automatically fail the semester (or drop it).

Ours were always given within the first few hours of a of semester. We did get two chances, though.

Some people had no idea we were having a test which brings me back to the first advice ...read! If there's any online portal, check it out thoroughly.

Oh wow, really?? Like, conversions and stuff like that??

Totally agree with Sour Lemon. I tried to master dimensional analysis on my own before starting and it was a HUGE help in Foundations. When other students were stressing about dosage quizzes/tests, I could focus on class material and trying to get through check-offs etc. Foundations can be a beast to learn how to take the nursing style tests, so don't get behind on reading and try to cram. Good luck!

Agree with the above posters. Know your math!

Also, brush up on A&P physiology, specifically cardiac, respiratory and renal -- these 3 things are major!

Know the pathophysiology of common respiratory and cardiac diseases (ie. congestive heart failure, mitral valve stenosis, COPD, pulmonary edema, etc.).

If you already have your fundamentals book, read the oxygenation chapter.

Good luck!

+ Add a Comment