Stay at this job?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I recently got a job at an HCA hospital in DFW on a cardiac tele floor. I've been a nurse about 6.5 years, with most of my experience in neuro tele/med surg. Actual job is good; I like what I'm learning, coworkers are friendly and supportive, my direct manager seems available, workflow is a bit busy (but part of this is me adjusting to a new work environment).

I've been on the floor two weeks, and yesterday I saw an MICU nurse I went through orientation with floated to the floor I was on...after only two weeks of her working on her floor. I was told it was HCA policy to do that. When I said she'd not been oriented to this specific, or this kind of floor, I was told it's just kinda what happens. This bothers me.

The floor seems to be lacking random equipment and supplies. Some of the equipment is very old. The EMR is HORRIBLE; it's Meditech. HCA owns it, so I don't think it's changing anytime soon. I used to use Epic and a newer version of Meditech. Both were light-years ahead of this one. The nurses are tasked with a lot of non-nursing stuff. There's talk soon of phasing out PCAs. Although I like the patient-centered care approach, there's a whole lot of the-customer-is-always-right stuff. It makes me wonder how supportive upper management is of clinical staff. There's a whole lot of shoveling of patients too..get em in, get em out stuff.

I guess you don't become the biggest hospital corporation in the nation by not trying to make your bottom line A1 priority.

I'm two weeks on the floor, but the above stuff seems ominous. I could stand to learn a lot, but it may be at the expense of being unsafe/working at a job that I feel like I'd just put up with or get used to like the that's frog gradually being boiled alive.

Anyone else have any experience similar with HCA? Like to give another nurse your take on it?

Anyone else have

Specializes in school nurse.

Research just a bit about HCA's corporate ethics.

Then look for a new job.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

Yeah, HCA. I don't have anything complimentary to say about them. I'll just leave it at that.

I could stand to learn a lot, but it may be at the expense of being unsafe/working at a job that I feel like I'd just put up with or get used to like the that's frog gradually being boiled alive.

It doesn't really matter what corporation you're talking about. Since these are people's lives we're talking about, it isn't worth it.

Take care ~

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

HCA is notorious for everything you described. They are always searching for the pain point of how little can be made due with without anything truly bad happening. That being said, there are good nurses and good floors in some of their hospitals. Nurses are expendable commodities though and the nursing leadership often seem to have sold their souls to corporate greed. Try Parkland or THR.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

One of my favorite singers is Sturgill Simpson. He has this to say:

If there's any doubt, there is no doubt/Your gut don't ever lie....

Good luck!

Thanks for all your replies. The crux of it is: would I be giving up a valuable job (i get paid and get to learn stuff) vs would I be giving up a job because it is truly unsafe and unsatisfying, but it's just that way because it's new to me?

I've thought of the things I find truly unsatisfying (the EMR, ****** med admin, lack of supplies, doing lots of non-nursing duties), and wonder if those will actually change OR those are just things to get used to. I think the latter. I worked at my other job yesterday with Epic, WOWs, and full supplies (although lower acuity), and it was nice.

Also, would it serve to really bite me in the ass to leave a job so early after getting hired? I could just leave it off my resume, but...everyone knows everyone, so would that follow me? Anyone here had a similar experience?

+ Add a Comment