RN-Pop. Health Federal Government VS. Work from home Case management/insurance co.

Specialties Case Management

Published

Hello all,

I'm in a pickle. I currently have 4 1/2 years with federal government and have been offered a case management position - work from home (field work) with insurance company. My dilemma is I drive 45 miles to work one way now (lot of driving-bad weather), plus, government has many rules/regulations, strict policy, (some lack common sense) which restrict my ability to take care of every day life stuff at times. The leadership is clicky, disrespectful, and uncaring (in-supportive) I would love to work from home to have more flexibility with my time when needed for appt's etc. The CM position pays $5000 more annually, sign on bonus plus annual bonuses based on performance. The CM position is a contracted position with a state managed care insurance company that will expire in 5yrs... may be renewed if performance meets standards. So.. no guarantee of job after that (although insurance co. ensured they place their employees in other positions if this happens). Plus I hear the work/home CM positions actually require more than 8 hrs day/ 40hrs week to get everything done... Any advise out there for me. BTW, I am 52yrs old, hope to retire in 8 - 10 yrs so federal may be the one to keep. .

Specializes in ED, ICU, MS/MT, PCU, CM, House Sup, Frontline mgr.

Do you have to choose? Can you keep your current job Per Diem and take the other job to see if you and the job are a good fit? I know a few people who have federal positions and work Per Diem for private companies. I personally have worked for more than one company for several years, especially when I worked in case management. Good luck.

I'm a risk-taker, so I'd go for the job I think I'd like way better even though I might then have to look for another job before retiring down the road. But there are a lot of stories in these forums of "grass being greener on the other side", so just make sure you really will like that job better enough to be worth leaving a federal job that would be good to retire from.

+ Add a Comment