Is this appropriate?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

We were directed to call our patients from home if the weather caused a closing or delay. We all felt uncomfortable in doing so, however, we were told it was fine. Also we could just *67to block our number. What do you all think?

I wouldn't have an issue doing it in a pinch but would expect a better solution to be worked out for future incidences (like the automated calls as another poster suggested).

My other thought is how do you access patient information at home? I wouldn't want to keep or have my employees keep HPI at their homes.

I'm fairly old school about using personal items for work. If a business wants me to use my capital for their business they should reimburse me for it. It's like taking a paycut without thinking about it. I'd want them to pay for my phone and service, or provide me with a work phone to make calls that would only be on during normal business hours.

Specializes in Surgical, Home Infusions, HVU, PCU, Neuro.
I would not want my patients to have my personal phone number for several reasons. I'm surprised the hospital doesn't give you a work phone

My home infusion job is a different job from the hospital, I do not call of make any contact with the patients or patients families that are admitted to the hospital, from my personal phone. I do however call my home infusion patients from my personal phone to set up apts, get directions ect or check on them after an infusion, especially IVIG if they are new to receiving it.

Specializes in Pedi.

As a community based case manager, I call my patients all the time to reschedule appointments because of snow. I do have a work cell phone, however, and have for all of my last 3 jobs.

Facilities have the ability to robo call- they send automated calls out to confirm appointments, they certainly can send out one (or a text) to say "we will be closed on Friday due to snow." Schools do it all the time. They can also post on their website and any social media pages they may run.

+ Add a Comment