Lack of Manners

Specialties School

Published

• Specializes in Pediatrics, Community Health, School Health.

You are reading page 2 of Lack of Manners

Tina, RN

513 Posts

Specializes in Acute Care, CM, School Nursing.
...I've also dealt with a lot of kids "sneaking up" on me. When I get the chance to run over to eat lunch in the staff lounge I have to sit facing the door or else a child might sneak up behind me and get my attention by breathing on my neck instead of saying "excuse me". NO THANKS!

OMG, I had a middle school aged student sneak up on me once, and literally blow on the back of my neck to startle me. I have never been so freaked out in my life. That was one of the very few times I got really stern with a kid...

Specializes in School nursing.
I refuse to look at the nurse pass if the kid won't talk to me. You're in middle school. Come on now!

My favorite is when girls won't just tell me they need a pad or are having cramps (even when the room is empty). They'll say they have a stomach ache, I'll go through the whole battery of GI questions and then finally think to ask if they are having cramps. They'll say yes, and I'll say, "Next time, it'll be a whole lot easier for us both if you just say that." SMH

This is why the first question I now ask every girl is "Regular stomachache or girl stomachache?" I like to get straight to the point :).

Specializes in Occupational Health.

Seriously, what is up with this wanting to sneak up on adults??

Every kid is doing it, and to staff all over the building. Last year it wasn't the "thing" that is this year.

ruby_jane, BSN, RN

3,142 Posts

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
This is why the first question I now ask every girl is "Regular stomachache or girl stomachache?" I like to get straight to the point :).

Oh I am totally stealing that one!

Amethya

1,821 Posts

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

Funny story:

My first year here I was told and warned about a friend here named D. D was known to be a drama king and very extra. He liked to complain of issues and cry to go to the nurse.

So he finally came, the first thing he said to me was "MISS! I need HELP!" You would think the way he was reacting was he was dying or something. Here I am not knowing what's up, and worried, "What's wrong?"

This kid, "A little kid sneezed on me! I need you to do something." He demanded.

I swear... I wanted to smack this kid. I just looked at him and said, "You are okay, go back to class."

D started to argue with me and cry that I need to do my job and help him because he is going to get "contagious and die" and I finally got up and moved him out of my office and said to him, "Until you learn to properly talk to me and use MANNERS, you are not allowed in my office. LEAVE. NOW"

I then called his mother and told her what happened.

The next day, he apologized and we started to have a good relationship after that and he didn't come unless he needed me. People were impressed because it seemed that the other MAs couldn't control his visits, but I was able to.

Amethya

1,821 Posts

I was sitting here at my desk and a second grader walks in (without knocking) and shoves her arm in my face and just says "Rash"! Then just stands there staring at me. :no:

I politely asked her to leave and try that again. Honestly, sometimes I wonder about some of these kids.

Oh no. I get real. "Turn around and try this again, I know things sometimes get bad but check your attitude. This time tell me in a better tone or you can go back to class and I can call your parents on your manners." 360 airflip reality check and then they change to a better attitude after that.

Jedrnurse, BSN, RN

2,776 Posts

Specializes in school nurse.

A 3rd grader sauntered into my office this morning with no greeting whatsoever and said "my back." That's it, just those two words.

I pointed to my shoe and said "my foot"...

The kids don't sneak up to scare me, they're just awkward and oblivious. Some of them don't know to say "excuse me" or "hello" from the doorway and instead lurk or stand very close to me before saying anything. I usually get a call from the front desk before a student is sent back, but sometimes they get through without a call. I've become hyper alert to the sound of the door opening or foot steps.

Amethya

1,821 Posts

The kids don't sneak up to scare me, they're just awkward and oblivious. Some of them don't know to say "excuse me" or "hello" from the doorway and instead lurk or stand very close to me before saying anything. I usually get a call from the front desk before a student is sent back, but sometimes they get through without a call. I've become hyper alert to the sound of the door opening or foot steps.

I get them just staring at me and I just stare back and say, "Yes?"

BeckyESRN

1,263 Posts

I have one of those convex mirrors on the wall opposite my desk, so I have full view of the doorway. The kids don't realize that I can see them when they run/skip/crawl/suddenly limp. When they try to sneak in, I just say something like "You should get off the floor, someone threw up there earlier" :)

ABRN2012

135 Posts

My student with diabetes at the elementary school likes to tell me how to do my job. Now mind you he is capable of doing everything himself and I am only to observe, the pump figures the insulin so its pretty simple. But he takes forever and I realized it was less class time missed if I just laid everything out for him while he washes his hands. Even if he has washed his hands he will stand there and wait on me to get everything laid out he taps his foot!!!!! A lot of times I am also either talking to a teacher or dealing with something else so if I forget to open the alcohol pad or get the carb count paper out of the lunch box he will say "You are falling down on the job!" A couple of days ago I was dealing with another issue and instead of being at his class for his morning check at 8:40 I was there about 8:50. He throws his pod at me and says "What took so long?" Oh my! I can tell that my temper is getting better because I actually was very stern but nice in my response to him. Needless to say I am planning on a meeting with his parents and teachers after this semester and we are going to change the way we do things around here.

TriciaJ, RN

4,328 Posts

Specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.
Funny story:

My first year here I was told and warned about a friend here named D. D was known to be a drama king and very extra. He liked to complain of issues and cry to go to the nurse.

So he finally came, the first thing he said to me was "MISS! I need HELP!" You would think the way he was reacting was he was dying or something. Here I am not knowing what's up, and worried, "What's wrong?"

This kid, "A little kid sneezed on me! I need you to do something." He demanded.

I swear... I wanted to smack this kid. I just looked at him and said, "You are okay, go back to class."

D started to argue with me and cry that I need to do my job and help him because he is going to get "contagious and die" and I finally got up and moved him out of my office and said to him, "Until you learn to properly talk to me and use MANNERS, you are not allowed in my office. LEAVE. NOW"

I then called his mother and told her what happened.

The next day, he apologized and we started to have a good relationship after that and he didn't come unless he needed me. People were impressed because it seemed that the other MAs couldn't control his visits, but I was able to.

"...I need you to do something."? I would have been so tempted to get up, do a little tap dance and say "There. I just did something. Now go back to class." You have more patience than I would have had.

+ Add a Comment