Roll Call - Who's Been Around the Longest and Your Accomplishments

Nurses General Nursing

Published

You are reading page 7 of Roll Call - Who's Been Around the Longest and Your Accomplishments

Davey Do

10,476 Posts

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
What all do you Guides do, besides just generally being awesome members of the community?

attachment.php?attachmentid=27912&stc=1

It is quite a neat thing, Julius Seizure. Guides are members who the Administration recognize as generally being active, productive member of AN.com.

Generally speaking, we're the Wal-Mart greeters and Barney Fife policers- you know-welcome new members, offer our assistance, report breaches of the TOS, spread good will and chunky peanut butter to all and to all a good night.

Gee. I hope I'm not giving out any classified information here.

Actually, I feel it's a honor to be a Guide. We even have our own hangout! But nobody goes there because it's too crowded.

(Yogi Berra)

OldDude

1 Article; 4,787 Posts

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.
attachment.php?attachmentid=27912&stc=1

It is quite a neat thing, Julius Seizure. Guides are members who the Administration recognize as generally being active, productive member of AN.com.

Generally speaking, we're the Wal-Mart greeters and Barney Fife policers- you know-welcome new members, offer our assistance, report breaches of the TOS, spread good will and chunky peanut butter to all and to all a good night.

Gee. I hope I'm not giving out any classified information here.

Actually, I feel it's a honor to be a Guide. We even have our own hangout! But nobody goes there because it's too crowded.

(Yogi Berra)

I often complain I should have been born rich instead of so damn good looking; it's a curse! But being a Guide on AN puts everything back into balance!!

Farawyn

12,646 Posts

I KNEW IT!! You two are married...

Jed, you were the one who thought OD and I were married because "the chemistry was undeniable"!!!

Jedrnurse, BSN, RN

2,776 Posts

Specializes in school nurse.
Jed, you were the one who thought OD and I were married because "the chemistry was undeniable"!!!

And I was right!! :yes:

Tell us everything; first date details, getting along with in-law issues, pet peeves, you know...

Farawyn

12,646 Posts

And I was right!! :yes:

Tell us everything; first date details, getting along with in-law issues, pet peeves, you know...

I can't be married to both!

I think THEY are married to each other. Secretly.

Jedrnurse, BSN, RN

2,776 Posts

Specializes in school nurse.
I can't be married to both!

I think THEY are married to each other. Secretly.

I'm still sticking to my theory.

The 'au courrant' term is "thruple."

Farawyn

12,646 Posts

I'm still sticking to my theory.

The 'au courrant' term is "thruple."

Fudge. That sounds good to me!

kbrn2002, ADN, RN

3,822 Posts

Specializes in Geriatrics, Dialysis.

I stumbled upon AN when I was a student. I'm sure I was looking for the answer to some question I had. I have to admit I needed to check the date when I joined and its drumroll, please...June of '01! My greatest accomplishment in nursing is truly just still plugging along and doing it. Sure I've gone through times where I hated it with every fiber of my being but I pushed through the dark times and came out the other side. There's such burnout in this career I'm proud of myself for not giving up. My favorite moment on AN was the first "like" I received from Brian, may he rest in peace.

Neats, BSN

682 Posts

Specializes in Case Manager/Administrator.

I started out as a nurses aid at the tender age of 14. The year was 1973. I do not remember how much I made an hour, I think it was less than 2.00. I lived in my car and worked the evening/night shift. I saved my money for 9 months before I could get my first apartment (the bathroom was bigger than the kitchen). I went as far as 7th grade and 2 months into 8th grade, dropped out. Fast forward to age 18...got my high school diploma, joined the military, kept going to college and have 3 Master degrees, 3 Bachelor Degrees. Too tired to get my terminal degree and company will not pay for it.

I think my accomplishments are that I have worked both Administration and Nursing...love them both. I am most proud of keeping a positive spin and bringing out the good in medical staff, calling out those who offend (really, for what purpose is that behavior for), and developing nurses to reach their dreams.

I love my profession but at times dislike it so much dream of being a motel maid where you go into a room, complete your tasks and leave all completed. The pay would suck though, and I would have never met all you fine nurses to gossip with.

canoehead, BSN, RN

6,890 Posts

Specializes in ER.

I graduated my BSN in '94, and I remember surfing allnurses while I was supposed to be studying, so I would guess I joined in '92? I was a completely different board format, and very, very few members compared to now. A discussion with ten responses was our version of a dumpster fire. Not many people still posting that were on back then...maybe Ruby, Karen (whats her screen name? I'm blocking on it) and Traumarus? I suspect some of the old members have different names now.

I've been a nurse since '89, and lived through the transition from all paper to computerized nursing. There's not many of us left that remember the good old days. I remember mercury thermometers, and when IV pumps were only in ICU! I remember smoking rooms, but thank goodness I missed the days when smoking at the nurses station was ok.

I still miss Brian at the helm.

Davey Do

10,476 Posts

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
Generally speaking, we're the ...Barney Fife policers... report(ing) breaches of the TOS...

I often complain I should have been born rich instead of so damn good looking; it's a curse!

attachment.php?attachmentid=27916&stc=1

Home Health Columnist / Guide

NRSKarenRN, BSN, RN

10 Articles; 18,305 Posts

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion.

Hi Canoehead and all our members!

Aide 1973, LPN 1977, BSN RN 1982 so seen many changes in nursing and healthcare throughout my career. Since 2000, I've been learning from and offering clinical advice to AN members around the world for 18 years now. Served as administrator for 15 years creating and developing about 15 forums helping to develop this wonderful website by adding clinical content; active now as moderator. Taught AN founder how booth can promote our website at nursing conventions - just 3 persons at the first 10 ft. booth in 2004, growing to 40 ft. size with 10 staff by 2012 attending AACN NTI conventions. Met in person over 100+ members and keep in touch with several throughout the years.

Greatest achievement: Nursing and Patient Advocate.

Communicating with our members, gratifying to see so many wannabe nursing students graduate, achieve licensure, with further growth into BSN-MSN-CRNA-DNP-PHD degrees.

In May 2001, I spearheaded a nursing rally in Philadelphia to inform public of critical nursing shortage at that time, need for federal funding of nursing education programs and the importance of Registered Nurse career -event covered by local TV stations. By 2010, Philadelphia area programs full, several expanded programs and Philly schools graduating 1,200 + Registered Nurses yearly.

As ANA member 35 + yrs. and part of my health systems community action team, have helped to influence health care legislation meeting with Senators and Representatives in Washington, DC and Harrisburg, PA along with participating in many letter writing campaigns each year. Nursing Activism forum created to spread the word!

Specialized in care of Respiratory and vent dependent patients and later home infusion. As homecare RN, later Central Intake Manger in home health learned much from the lived experiences of my clients. Mastered how the health care system works beyond hospital walls, successful in getting insurance companies to pay for clients DME/wound care/enteral nutrition along with home care nursing, therapy and home health aide services to keep clients living independently at home as long as possible.

Every week I learn something new from various forums, especially school nursing (immunizations, IEP's, medication mgmt. in schools), keep up to date with new meds being discussed, ED triage concerns (been in 10 Philly area ED's with family over past several years) and from recent Life or death of the squatty potty.

Allnurses success is due to our Admin Team, moderators and guides passion for nursing. Expect to be here for another 20 years learning along with our members.

+ Add a Comment