How do you keep your LVN job?

Nurses LPN/LVN

Published

I haven't been able to keep an LVN job for longer than 3 months. Any advice? Thanks.

Sour Lemon

5,016 Posts

I haven't been able to keep an LVN job for longer than 3 months. Any advice? Thanks.

I get the impression that you may not be detail oriented? Maybe work on that?

Alex Egan, LPN, EMT-B

4 Articles; 857 Posts

Specializes in Home Health (PDN), Camp Nursing.

You have the same post in 2017. This is an ongoing issue, and honestly it's hard to understand what's REALLY happened with a termination via the internet, and via the ex employees perspective only. As mentioned in other threads you need a therapist or coach, and you need to be brutally honest with them and yourself.

beekee

839 Posts

It really depends on why you keep getting fired. Do you have a lot of absences? Med errors? Do you struggle with time management? Critical thinking? Assessment? Something else? We need to know what's going on before we can offer any advice on how to keep a job.

allnurses Guide

nursel56

7,078 Posts

Specializes in Peds/outpatient FP,derm,allergy/private duty.

Is there some reason why all of your posts don't contain enough information for us to give you advice? You don't like paragraphs, maybe bullet points?

wandwaving

29 Posts

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier. There was no reply tab. I have issues with a bit of everything. Yeah I have problem with details. I usually feel bored of reading details on medications...Usually I don't have enough time to read through the entire MAR or chart and when I do it feels like the meds are just numbers or blobs of text. There's nothing that is significant that catches my attention.

I also have problems with calling the doctor. I usually just delegate to the RN. And sometimes the RN says don't call the doctor when I'm supposed to call the Dr. There's no way to bypass the RN is there? So sometimes I don't know if I should listen to the RN or go against the RN and call the Dr. without her/his consent. What do you guys think? I've never been one to challenge authority.

Usually it's just the medications. Sometimes I don't critically think such as when to give a medication or when not to give a medication. That also ties in with assessment. Sometimes I have to assess a patient first before I give the medication. But like sometimes I have no idea how to assess the patient. As in I forgot everything I learned in nursing school.

egglady, LPN

361 Posts

Specializes in Geriatrics.

I no longer believe you are a nurse- in any way, shape, or form. A LPN doesn't delegate to a RN. It's a chain of command thing. At least in the 20 plus years of me being a nurse.

Alex Egan, LPN, EMT-B

4 Articles; 857 Posts

Specializes in Home Health (PDN), Camp Nursing.
I no longer believe you are a nurse- in any way, shape, or form. A LPN doesn't delegate to a RN. It's a chain of command thing. At least in the 20 plus years of me being a nurse.

Calling an MD is a nursing task within the scope of practice of an LPN. It can thusly be delegated to another person who's scope of practice also covers the task. An LPN can absolutely delegate to an RN. It follows all the standard rules though which means that you have to follow up and make sure that it was done that's the only issue I would have with the OPs situation around calling the doctor.

OP. I really feel like you have a mental health issues that need addressed. You're unable to retain employment, you are unable to drive related to anxiety, and you're unsure how to egged you're situation. You need help. Please speak to a therapist it will help or point you in the direction of help

LatebloomerLVN

54 Posts

How about you can work in home health or hospice agency. Its a way slower pace & way lesser stress for you?

+ Add a Comment