Administer OTC medications or No?

Specialties School

Published

Good Day All!

I'm a couple of weeks into working at a private school and I noticed the previous nurse gave OTC medications if the parents signed a form giving permission to administer. The form has Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, Benadryl (topical and oral) Tums, Hydrocortisone, Antibiotic ointment, cough drops.

New form created before the previous nurse left includes the same meds but adds a line for the physicians sig and that the nurse would follow the dosage instructions on the box.

My previous school nurse position preferred that OTC medications be given outside of school hours unless there was a specific need. We also needed a medication administration form filled out with a PRN order, MD signature and the medication provided with pharmacy label.

I do want to help the kids feel better, and I want to avoid parent uproar, however the thought of following this current school's OTC form makes me nervous. (litigation:unsure:)

Am I being a nervous nelly or do you feel more schools should implement a process like this?

Specializes in kids.

Your state association may be able to guide you as well

In my school... No consent, no meds

Specializes in Rehab/LTC.

The schools my kids go to only require a parent signature for OTC meds. The school nurse can give 3 doses of the schools supply (with a parent signature), after that the parent has to supply the child(ren) with their own. I send in liquid ibuprofen for my younger 2 and ibuprofen pills for my older 2.

The only thing I've had to get a MD to sign is for the nebulizer and inhaler to be used during school hours. Then a separate authorization for my son or his teacher to carry his inhaler on his person and to be allowed to take the inhaler on field trips.

In Ohio - my district has OTC form for middle school & high school levels only. Parent checks off which of the OTCs we keep on hand (Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, caladryl, sting kill swabs, Tums, triple atb ointment) that they approve of & are given the choice of only the nurse OR either the nurse or trained staff member may administer. Acetaminophen & ibuprofen are label dosage only - if you want them to have 400mg of ibuprofen or more at a time, we require physician's med admin form & they have to provide the bottle. At the elementary level, all meds - whether Rx or OTC - require physician's signature. Sure cut down on the "too uncomfortable to be in class because I have a headache/menstrual cramps" complaints in the upper grades!

+ Add a Comment