Maddening T1D non-compliance

Specialties School

Published

You are reading page 2 of Maddening T1D non-compliance

KelRN215, BSN, RN

1 Article; 7,349 Posts

Specializes in Pedi.

This is a child protection case. A middle schooler is still a child and it's the parents' responsibility to make sure blood sugar checks are being done and insulin taken. This actually reminds me of a child I had on my caseload when I was a pediatric home health manager. The child was about 14, and his HgbA1C was about 14 as well. His father viewed diabetes as his son's issue and basically said if he didn't take care of himself that was his problem.

Specializes in School nursing.
This is a child protection case. A middle schooler is still a child and it's the parents' responsibility to make sure blood sugar checks are being done and insulin taken. This actually reminds me of a child I had on my caseload when I was a pediatric home health manager. The child was about 14, and his HgbA1C was about 14 as well. His father viewed diabetes as his son's issue and basically said if he didn't take care of himself that was his problem.

Um...what?

People like that should not be having kids. Kid may actually be non compliant in hopes that his dad might pay attention if he ends up in the hospital and seems like dad won't care. I feel for that kid!

pedi_nurse

247 Posts

Specializes in CPN.

I don't disagree. It needs a little more time, IMO, though. Parent is scheduled to attend education class on Wed. If they skip out, and there is a similar situation that occurs, I will make a report. Until then, I'm hoping it's an education/coping issue.

pedi_nurse

247 Posts

Specializes in CPN.

Can't pee for a ketostick? Here, sit with me and drink 20 ounces of water until you can...guarantee that will only happen once.

Ruby, I did this the week before Thanksgiving and it FREAKING WORKED! Kid was 580 at lunch today and peed without a fuss! And did it again this afternoon for rechecks. So excited.

Also, as a general update, mom attended the recommended education class and was glad to connect to parents dealing with similar stuff. She also happily agreed to our offer to have a teacher call her who not only has been struggling with a non compliant teen, but also speaks Spanish and will be able to speak easily with mom. Kid isn't interested in Freestyle Libre, but mom is. She's gonna try to convince him to at least try it for a couple weeks. We'll see how it goes.

ruby_jane, BSN, RN

3,142 Posts

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
Ruby, I did this the week before Thanksgiving and it FREAKING WORKED! Kid was 580 at lunch today and peed without a fuss! And did it again this afternoon for rechecks. So excited.

Also, as a general update, mom attended the recommended education class and was glad to connect to parents dealing with similar stuff. She also happily agreed to our offer to have a teacher call her who not only has been struggling with a non compliant teen, but also speaks Spanish and will be able to speak easily with mom. Kid isn't interested in Freestyle Libre, but mom is. She's gonna try to convince him to at least try it for a couple weeks. We'll see how it goes.

ALL the good news!

I would respectfully posit (to the kid) that the kid doesn't know what s/he wants because it's just so difficult being diabetic and that age. I mean it. It stinks, and it takes a lot of resilience to get through. I would be interested to know how that Freestyle works.

+ Add a Comment