Cost of IOP

Nurses Recovery

Published

If it's not too much to ask, how much did your IOP treatment cost you?

allnurses Guide

hppygr8ful, ASN, RN, EMT-I

4 Articles; 5,049 Posts

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).
If it's not too much to ask, how much did your IOP treatment cost you?

I had good insurance through my husband and so the whole ten weeks cost m3 a $50.00 co-pay. The real costs came from the monitoring. It ran me about $45,000.00 for the full 5 year duration. But that was back 11 years ago. I know it's much more expensive now.

Hppy

My IOP was 30.00 a night. My insurance only approved so many sessions and I miraculously was ready for discharge the last day that was approved. Medicine is about money at all levels. I hate to admit that. It is a business and rehab is a cash cow.

My IOP was about 3 1/2 months. It was a ridiculous exercise and kinda looked like a daycare for alcoholics and addicts. Anyway, my copay for this was about $2000 if I remember right. I have no idea how much they fleeced my insurance company for but I think they charged $200 a day. Anyway they basically tossed me out when my insurance refused to pay anymore and I told them I could not no matter the consequences. The hardest financial hit at this time was the fact that I couldn't work. Between Inpatient and IOP I was out of work from September - January and that cost me about $35K or so. Once the rehab vampires sink their teeth into you they won't stop sucking until every available dime is gone and could careless about the consequences to you. With the rehab industry its cash first and the welfare of their "patients" (I hesitate to use this word because I don't remember a medical professional in sight) maybe a distant second. Cash cow for sure.

Specializes in OR.

Mine was, as I vaguely remember something in the neighborhood of about $3000 cash straight up. I can't be sure because getting a financial statement was like pulling teeth from a chicken. When one was finally produced, it did not match the credit card receipts. This was in addition to the money for thier 'structured living' BS which I was drop kicked out of because I refused to drink the "Jim Jones kool aid" they were serving and the $35000 worth of inpatient mind******* prior to that. Frankly, IOP was nothing more than the same "assignments" as the inpatient garbage.

As Spanked says, "inpatient" or "outpatient" are very loose terms because any one with any kind of medical degree (that could practice, this was a 'professionals program- yeah, yeah sorry to say I got sold on that BS, too) was barely to be seen and certainly not there to see the inmates. Probably just there to see victims, 'recommend' admission and pick up the $$$.

I never needed any of that trash and sadly fell for it, hook, line and sinker. Was chained to a rock at the bottom of the lake before I realized it too.

Investigate any IOP program you are considering. Anything that is more interested in how your are paying for it than what your needs are? Run away! Quickly. Even if you have to find your own and appeal to the program to approve it based on what you can afford. I've seen people manage to do that. I wish I had known.

Lisacar130

379 Posts

I think I had something like 2 weeks of partial hospitalization (a day program like 9a-3p) and then 6-8 weeks of IOP. I paid the maximum for my out of pocket which was like $5K. I don't know why some here had to do it for so long. It really depends on your state I guess.

Specializes in Critical Care.

5 months $5500. One caveat: I had to finish. If I didn't finish, I had to pay the whole amount. I left my work and had one month left of coverage. Good thing I signed up right away after being "let go".

+ Add a Comment