CNM School

Specialties CNM

Published

Hi everyone!

I am wanting to ask a question, I have been searching and searching and have found no solution to what I need.

So, I want to become a CNM and I live in Illinois. Is my only option really UIC? I will have to do the DNP program because they have moved it to that and it is a big commute for me. It would be about two hours one way if I take the train. I see theres Frontier but it requires going to KY twice (as I will be coming into whatever program I choose with a BSN). It also doesn't tell you if they are licensed for Illinois. Does anyone know if it is an acceptable school for Illinois? I would appreciate everyones advice. Is UIC my only option or is there any other online distance school that is acceptable for Illinois?

Thanks so much everyone

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

Frontier Nursing University is a highly regarded, very reputable program and students from all over the country (including Illinois) have studied there and obtained their CNM.

Specializes in OB.

Here is a list of all of the accredited certified midwifery education programs in the country:

https://portal.midwife.org/education/education-programs?reload=timezone

Any of those programs will be "acceptable" in any state in the U.S. Many of them are distance. Frontier is in the top five programs in the country. Hope that helps!

Thank you!

The FNU program is valid in every state. I would pick a program based on quality. The two trips you make to FNU is for orientation and right before clinicals. When you go you'll realize how very, very important these visits are and they will prove to be critical to your success.

Specializes in RN CNM DNP.

I don't know how highly regarded Frontier is.

Specializes in OB.
9 hours ago, Mamita123 said:

I don't know how highly regarded Frontier is.

It is extremely highly regarded.

I wouldn't say "extremely" there appears to be more students coming in than clinical sites and jobs. I think in researching schools one must consider all that's being claimed. Yale, for instance, is a little more honest with their projections and numbers when handling their student's future outcomes.

Wishing you all the best.

Specializes in OB.
1 hour ago, JennyS said:

I wouldn't say "extremely" there appears to be more students coming in than clinical sites and jobs. I think in researching schools one must consider all that's being claimed. Yale, for instance, is a little more honest with their projections and numbers when handling their student's future outcomes.

Wishing you all the best.

I think the issue of more students coming in than clinical sites is a problem at every program, unfortunately. I have precepted students from Frontier as well as NYU, Columbia, Yale, and Vanderbilt, and felt the Frontier students were by far the most prepared and their curriculum was the most rigorous. That's what I'm basing my opinion on, your mileage may vary.

Where did you go to school if I may ask?

Specializes in OB.
20 hours ago, JennyS said:

Where did you go to school if I may ask?

Me? I went to NYU. Why?

Specializes in Midwifery student.

No UIC isn't your only option. There are several hybrid programs (online and campus) that offer MSN or Post-graduate certificate programs in Midwifery. I attend Shenandoah University in Virginia. It's mostly online with a week long on-campus intensive each semester. I am in the PGC program. Not sure if they offer the full program. By the way I am from Illinois too. The only thing is you will have to most likely find your own preceptor. UIC places their students so it depends on what's more important to you.

+ Add a Comment