Out of state overnight camping

Specialties School

Published

Can I still practice during out of state camping?

The idea of this stresses me out so much. If you aren't traveling as a nurse, what if an urgent need arises? If you address said urgent need and something goes wrong, can you actually say you weren't practicing in the capacity of a nurse? If you aren't the one to address the urgent need, do you get in trouble with your state BON for not rendering aid as appropriate for a nurse to do? Or as a school employee can you still administer medications because in education that is treated as an administrative role? Or can you get into trouble for administering medications as a nurse without a license in that state? So many what if scenarios - it gives me anxiety.

Right, it would stress me so much that I wouldn't enjoy a minute of it. So many legalities!!! And you can talk until you are blue in the face with other chaperones, students, parents but they will still expect the same level of care as at school. Ughhh, it stinks!!

School-sponsored Trips - The Role of the School Nurse - National Association of School Nurses

Now find out the exceptions- I can go to NY on a class trip and provide care to MY students as long as I do not present myself as a NY licensed RN or care for anyone in the host state. I know that because we do frequent trips and NY is helpful enough to put it on their website.

Based on my research, I can practice nursing on my OWN students (NJ students) but not on other people in PA.

Specializes in School nursing.
Right, it would stress me so much that I wouldn't enjoy a minute of it. So many legalities!!! And you can talk until you are blue in the face with other chaperones, students, parents but they will still expect the same level of care as at school. Ughhh, it stinks!!

I'm going with seniors. My line is they need to own their own health issues to be prepped for the real world where they won't have a school nurse available and parents are cool and have really appreciated it thus far.

Now MS students aboard? NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE.

I'm going with seniors. My line is they need to own their own health issues to be prepped for the real world where they won't have a school nurse available and parents are cool and have really appreciated it thus far.

Now MS students aboard? NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE.

I like the sound of this

+ Add a Comment