Student is not moving on purpose.

Specialties School

Published

• by Amethya
    Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

That student I had issue with parent, we learned by certain interference, is doing it on purpose. She is a normal little girl, nothing else, as such she's showing her true colors to me.

Yesterday, she was whining that her head hurts, with her gaggle of friends, giggling. And I can tell she's okay, she's playing around, but she would keep on it and she even said, "I'll tell my mom on you, she'll get mad!" I just retorted back, "It's okay, I'll let her know too." I documented the exchange and she's still doing this defiance.

She's having issues with the PE teachers and we have told her to move and sit outside or inside in the cafeteria, but she refuses to and knows she'll get hit.

She keeps using me as a way to get out of class and I'm getting tired of it.

What can we do about this? I don't want to keep bothering the family or getting others involved but this is ridiculous!

And I'll repeat myself: She understands the consequences and understands things like anyone else. She just plain refuses to do what we ask.

kidzcare

3,393 Posts

This is a behavioral issue for admin.

jess11RN

291 Posts

Does she see a social worker? If so, get them involved. Regardless, I'd let admin know about the situation as well.

If you've cleared her, then you shouldn't have to be involved in this situation.

ruby_jane, BSN, RN

3,142 Posts

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
This is a behavioral issue for admin.

Absolutely, and beyond the pay grade of a clinic staff. Counselor/AP involvement and perhaps a behavior plan?

Amethya

1,821 Posts

The problem is we have paperwork she does have leg issues, possibly a tumor. The issue I have is that yes, she has pain, but the way she acts, she can be really either in pain, or be silly and just want to miss class. So I can't do much, except accept her in my office, but the way she's been acting lately, especially after being in a wheelchair and not putting any pressure on her leg, she's being more silly and normal than usual.

Amethya

1,821 Posts

I already told them, I think we are going to have to talk to her and see what we can do, because at this point she's being defiant to everyone here.

jess11RN

291 Posts

The problem is we have paperwork she does have leg issues, possibly a tumor. The issue I have is that yes, she has pain, but the way she acts, she can be really either in pain, or be silly and just want to miss class. So I can't do much, except accept her in my office, but the way she's been acting lately, especially after being in a wheelchair and not putting any pressure on her leg, she's being more silly and normal than usual.

I would ask parents to see if they can get a MD note for PE, what she can and cannot do. She can still go to PE and sit on the sidelines, not in your office. I'd be afraid of her catching something, especailly with cold and flu season approaching.

If there is a medical issue and a possible CA diagnosis, then I would definitely get social work involved in her case. Maybe she's being a stinker, but maybe she's acting that way due to stress and anxiety. Maybe she feels that she has no control over her situation (which she doesn't) so this is the one thing that she can try to control. When I worked in oncology, we'd have pts fighting over "their" treatment chairs. It took me a while to realize that sitting in "their chair" was one of the few things they could control in a situation they had little control over.

Amethya

1,821 Posts

I would ask parents to see if they can get a MD note for PE, what she can and cannot do. She can still go to PE and sit on the sidelines, not in your office. I'd be afraid of her catching something, especailly with cold and flu season approaching.

If there is a medical issue and a possible CA diagnosis, then I would definitely get social work involved in her case. Maybe she's being a stinker, but maybe she's acting that way due to stress and anxiety. Maybe she feels that she has no control over her situation (which she doesn't) so this is the one thing that she can try to control. When I worked in oncology, we'd have pts fighting over "their" treatment chairs. It took me a while to realize that sitting in "their chair" was one of the few things they could control in a situation they had little control over.

I forgot to add she's also autism but we believe she may be High functioning. So that's also something I don't know how to handle.

If you read my older post here's the gist:

-No paperwork since last year

-Mother keeps bringing the same type of paperwork for temporary time period, but nothing like a plan or anything for the whole year.

-Mother refuses to bring any paperwork for tumor.

-Refuses to get me ROI for doctor

-Mother is trying to find something wrong with our school (Ie, trying to blame us for physical abuse.)

-Mother not understanding anything after explaining her so many times (If we want to put Medical in her IEP, we need said paperwork)

-We already called Social Services, the doctor's did their own social worker, and they did their job but now it's all up to mother to do the end of the bargain.

This last month has been a bit stinker, and it's harder when we have to deal with this too. We already went through the right procedures but we haven't received anything. I'm just doing my job, but I feel bad that this child is going through all this and nothing is being changed or fixed, because we can't and mother won't help us.

Amethya

1,821 Posts

Absolutely, and beyond the pay grade of a clinic staff. Counselor/AP involvement and perhaps a behavior plan?

I already informed Admin.

Farawyn

12,646 Posts

Make sure you document everything. Do not engage. If she has a complaint, assess her and send back to class. if she refuses call admin. every single time.

Amethya

1,821 Posts

Make sure you document everything. Do not engage. If she has a complaint, assess her and send back to class. if she refuses call admin. every single time.

Will do.

middleagednurse

554 Posts

Specializes in nurseline,med surg, PD.

Munchausen by proxy?

+ Add a Comment