"My doctor told me..."

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Addictions, psych, corrections, transfers.

I've have a weird week this week with some weird information that patients have said their doctors told them. It cracks me up because they either have the worst doctors I've ever known or they completely misunderstood what their doctor told them.

Example: Pt with a large abscess that's open and swelling. Abscesses don't usually swell more once open, so I was curious.

ME: How have you been treating it?

Pt: My doctor told me to clean with dawn dish soap and bleach. (He cut it open with a bleached knife and washed it with more bleach and dish soap)

What the doctor probably said: Clean with soap and water.

(Hey, bleach cleans stuff, right?)

another patient: Brought in five antibiotics from various dates some different kinds.

Me: Do you take all of these?

Pt: no, I just take them when I need them.

Me: Tell me what that means because that's actually dangerous.

Pt: Since I get lots of infections (from IV drugs) my doctor told me to take them whenever I feel an abscess coming on and stop as soon it goes away. (Queue my almost having an aneurysm.)

Me: Educated pt on the dangers and pointed out that each bottle says to make to take all medications and they would have received the same teaching from the pharmacy.

Pt: I don't think you're right. How do they even know how long to take an antibiotic? They're just guessing (I'm seeing stars in front of my eyes).

Me: tried to explain how they know how long to take antibiotics.

Pt: I think my doctor knows more than you since he's a DOCTOR and you're not, so I'll do what he says.

What the doctor probably: Do I even need to say it?

Please chime in with interesting "my doctor told me (input misinformation here)" I need a laugh before I go insane.

Oh geez, those are wild. I don't have anything that exciting, although I will have the occasional family member who doesn't trust anything I say because I'm "just a nurse," and will repeat every single question I just answered to the provider (spoiler alert, they're going to tell you the exact same thing, lol). :rolleyes:

I did once have a newborn with idiopathic thrombocytopenia and the mom (who was pretty granola) just could not get on board with the treatment plan. Every time we tried to educate her on the risk of hemorrhage, she'd respond with, "Well, my naturopath said it was ok for her to have a platelet count of 32." She also didn't trust us so for several weeks, she had different family members stationed awake and at the bedside for shifts 24/7; the baby was literally never unattended. After trying for days without getting through to her, we finally just had to say, "Even if you don't agree with the plan of care, we aren't discharging your baby until it is medically safe to do so." We recommend that all NICU grads are seen by a pediatrician or PNP rather than a family practice doctor or FNP due to their unique medical needs, but despite her coag issues mom insisted that the naturopath would be her primary care provider. Can't help but shake my head.

Specializes in Critical Care.
I've have a weird week this week with some weird information that patients have said their doctors told them. It cracks me up because they either have the worst doctors I've ever known or they completely misunderstood what their doctor told them.

Example: Pt with a large abscess that's open and swelling. Abscesses don't usually swell more once open, so I was curious.

ME: How have you been treating it?

Pt: My doctor told me to clean with dawn dish soap and bleach. (He cut it open with a bleached knife and washed it with more bleach and dish soap)

What the doctor probably said: Clean with soap and water.

(Hey, bleach cleans stuff, right?)

That's actually not a particularly unusual MD instruction, when used for wounds it's more commonly called "Dakin's solution", but it's still just diluted sodium hypochlorite, or what is commonly called "bleach".

Surfactants are also not unusual for MD's to recommend for wounds, preferably a highly biocompatible surfactant, a common one being dawn dish soap.

Oh geez, those are wild. I don't have anything that exciting, although I will have the occasional family member who doesn't trust anything I say because I'm "just a nurse," and will repeat every single question I just answered to the provider (spoiler alert, they're going to tell you the exact same thing, lol). :rolleyes:

I did once have a newborn with idiopathic thrombocytopenia and the mom (who was pretty granola) just could not get on board with the treatment plan. Every time we tried to educate her on the risk of hemorrhage, she'd respond with, "Well, my naturopath said it was ok for her to have a platelet count of 32." She also didn't trust us so for several weeks, she had different family members stationed awake and at the bedside for shifts 24/7; the baby was literally never unattended. After trying for days without getting through to her, we finally just had to say, "Even if you don't agree with the plan of care, we aren't discharging your baby until it is medically safe to do so." We recommend that all NICU grads are seen by a pediatrician or PNP rather than a family practice doctor or FNP due to their unique medical needs, but despite her coag issues mom insisted that the naturopath would be her primary care provider. Can't help but shake my head.

How is the wee one doing?

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
My doctor told me...

Let's put it to music!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27718[/ATTACH]

Specializes in ICU.

Munro is right about the Dakin's solution. Used it many times. In fact, some patients are instructed to put a little bleach in a bathtub filled with water and soak. This is why education for patients while in the hospital has become such a big deal. We discuss, give handouts, and chart their response to education daily. I have no idea if any type of education is done by outpatient clinics, urgent care, etc.

Specializes in Surgical, quality,management.

I recently had one but more of "well the doctor didn't say".

We had been educating the patient on a low salt diet as he has Child Pugh C cirrhosis. Use herbs, spices instead to bring out the flavour of the food. Pt back in a month later and the chronic liver disease nurse is checking with him about his diet, "not using salt, using herbs" etc. Further digging into what herbs he has been using - chicken salt!!!!

On questioning why he was using that when we said no salt he told us that "you never said no chicken salt". Slap my head!

That's actually not a particularly unusual MD instruction, when used for wounds it's more commonly called "Dakin's solution", but it's still just diluted sodium hypochlorite, or what is commonly called "bleach".

Surfactants are also not unusual for MD's to recommend for wounds, preferably a highly biocompatible surfactant, a common one being dawn dish soap.

He was using pure household bleach. I have heard little bit about using a diluted bleach and soap although I'm not terribly familiar with the method, and thank you for going more in-depth for me. The dawn dish soap was not the problem because at least it's soap. I think the look of the wound proved he was not doing it right. It was swollen to the size of a soft ball.

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27720[/ATTACH]

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion.

Dakins solution used frequently in home care nursing for infected wounds - recipe for normal saline, dakins, acetic acid below.... created many batches for my home care patients, still in use today.

https://www.vnhcsb.org/media/data/papers/pdf/073_4.12.3.pdf

Specializes in Neuroscience.

Patient: My doctor told me everything would be done for my pain.

Me: Yes, you've had your Fiorcet, which is all you can have because you have a head injury and we have to make sure your brain is okay.

Patient: But he said everything would be done for my pain!

Me: And everything is being done. You just had brain surgery, you will have some pain.

Patient: But My doctor...

Me: I forgot the most important part. We need to turn you every two hours. Did Dr. X talk about how beneficial the turn schedule is for pain?

Patient: I'd really like some oxycodone

Me: Doesn't even treat brain pain. Turning...I can't believe I forgot that. Right side or left?

I don't think I'm making it clear. He was using straight bleach, not diluted in any way, right out of the bottle onto his wound not the actual Dakin's solution.

+ Add a Comment