I want to quit

Nurses Stress 101

Published

I guess I need to just vent. I am currently a nursing student. This quarter I am taking A&P II Lab and Theory, and Pharmacology. I work full time, and also have an 8 month old baby. On top of that my FIL is currently living with us so that he is not homeless and living in a shelter or in the streets. I am so incredibly stressed out that I just want to quit school all together. I have a decent paying job at a hospital, and it is secure. In January I start clinicals, and won't be able to work full time. I still don't know what job I'll be working (I just know that I have to work) once the new year gets here. I've wanted to be a nurse since I was a kid; but all of this stress of trying to pass my classes on top of everything else is making me want to just give it all up.

Specializes in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.

I personally don't think it's such a great idea to jam right into nursing school/clinicals with such a stressed mindset and busy, but important lifestyle because nursing school is only going to make the stress worse and make you want to quit even more. Correct me if I'm wrong, but based on your list of classes you're taking, I don't think your IN nursing school, you are just taking the pre-requisite courses FOR nursing school, but you DO start nursing school as you had mentioned in January. I think this is the right time to sit down with yourself and figure out how to manage this stress. Is it really the right time to start nursing school knowing the fact that you won't have your full-time, good paying job anymore, care for your young baby in addition to this person that you mentioned (I have no clue what an FIL is but I assume it's a person unable to care for themselves for whatever reason)? Finish up those pre-req classes and maybe re-think on postponing nursing school until your life is settled. Nursing school is always going to be there, but generally, you have one main shot at it so you'll want to make it count and go at it at your best. I would definitely speak to your nursing school counselor and hear their thoughts on postponing and what happens if you rescind your application/spot.

Specializes in Reproductive & Public Health.

I worked FT or almost FT throughout nursing school, with two young children (one with a serious physical disability), AND was pregnant with twins during the program (a surrogacy, which I actually decided to do to help me pay for school). I also have bipolar II and was not yet diagnosed at that time, so my mental health struggles made it all the more difficult. Oh! And I was still married to my abusive ex husband.

For me, it was fine. It was *hard.* I cried and wasn't sure I could do it. But, I got through it with my sanity intact (with the added benefit of finally getting the kick in the butt I needed to seek help and get an accurate dx), my kids alive, and a 3.98 GPA (I blame my surrotwins for that 0.02!).

It was the best thing I ever did for myself, and my children. It changed the course of my life in a very positive way. However, that is just me. Different people have different lines in the sand. If you want to do it, you can DEFINITELY get through it. But it is ok if you want to take a step back, get things in order, and then jump back in. There is no right answer here.

Just remember though, life is ALWAYS hard. It will still be hard if you decide to step away from school. If you decide to take a break, make a TIMELINE and commit to going back to school. it is easy to keep pushing back your schooling, waiting for the non-existent time when things will finally settle down.

Specializes in retired LTC.

To barcode - FIL = father-in-law; like SIL = sister-in-law etc.

To OP - I'm guessing that you're just OVERWHELMED with your life throwing you one big stewpot of obstacles. School might be just be one ingredient in that medley of obstacles.

You're carrying a lot of distressing responsibilities. Yet your concern re your nsg education can be a positive motivator rather than a negative influence.

Like PP cayenne comments, school can help.

Just asking this since your baby is a little, have you checked out postpartal depression as a factor that may need some professional help?

Just asking and wishing you you the best.

Cayenne06,

Thank you for this! You definitely had so much going on, and plenty to be stressed about! The fact that life will never make it convenient to finish school is something that I try to remind myself of often, and sometimes you just have to "put your big girl panties on" and do it. :)

amoLucia,

Yes, school is definitely not the main problem. I've let everything else build up and cause a lot of stress. And actually, now that you mention it, I actually did have some Postpartum depression/anxiety after having my son, but thought that had resolved. I didn't consider that maybe that could be affecting all of this. Thank you!

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

You have a lot of major stressors on the Holmes and Rahe stress inventory (google it). So of course, you're feeling overwhelmed. Don't beat yourself up.

You will likely not be able to work during clinicals. Clinicals are your job during nursing school. You may not want to hear it but clinicals are unpredictable and come with their own set of homework. Do whatever you can not to work through clinicals, knowing that you will graduate, get a great job, and this will not matter in two years.

Good luck!

+ Add a Comment