Do you always send home after Vomiting 1x?

Specialties School

Published

Had 2 in my office this morning after vomiting during PE. One had no other complaints and the other was focusing on their sore throat. PE teacher came to my office asking why they were sent back to class if they vomited. I clammed up (mind you, my computer isn't even up and running yet because I had just walked in the door) and I wasn't very nice. I did go back and apologize to my PE teacher. She definitely didn't deserve my attitude this morning!

I'm curious to know if vomiting once is an automatic pass home in your books?

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

If they look sick and throw up again, yes. But if they only throw up once, I usually watch them for 15 mins and see how they act and react. If I don't see any more vomiting and the student seems fine and says they are okay, then back they go. I do call parents though and make sure they know the situation.

Specializes in School Nurse. Having conversations with littles..
Well. You do have an "in" with your Principal.

Oh Far. You crack me up! :)

Specializes in school nursing/ maternal/child hospital based.
You had cause (double McBreakfast) and effect (laps then vomiting). She was second-guessing you, though. It's OK.

I said to the teachers at the beginning of the year "I'm going to beg forgiveness in advance because you'll send me a kid who tells you s/he's nauseous, and I'll send that kid back when s/he tolerates crackers in my clinic but vomits in your trashcan....

THIS!!!

Our policy states vomiting twice in 24 hours to exclude. Love this! All vomiting is not created equal.....

Specializes in Peds, School Nurse, clinical instructor.

If they puked a lot, yes, if not, rest and return to class.

Specializes in School LVN, Peds HH.

Yes. District policy.

However... if I suspect a student is lying about vomiting, I will make them sit in my office and I'll tell them that I or another staff member must physically see the vomit. Usually they say they're feeling better and go back to class.

Or, if you think they are lying, you exclude them for that day and the next and when parent sees they are fine, they may not lie again. LOL!!!

I like to use that one on kids who vomit in the restroom, stay in your clinic for 45 minutes without so much as a gag and then vomit in the bathroom 2 minutes after they leave you.

Nope. Nursing judgement. Yesterday I heard a few kids vomited after eating Ghost peppers at lunch. Too bad, Teens. Natural consequences.

Specializes in School nursing.

I always ask kids what the vomit looks like when they reports vomiting non-witnessed to me. They look at me often like I have two heads, but helps me access. And I can tell a lot by how they answer ;).

And yep, some kids can puke on demand. I have one of those with a nurse parent. That parent and I talk often after puking occurs. She appreciates my vomit analysis as we call it. PS: her kid 99% of the time stays in school.

Last school year a boy on our soccer team vomited all over the field at the end of morning practice. Two other boys vomited shortly after. The coach was completely confused as to why I sent home vomiter #1 but not #2 or #3. Vomiter #1 had a MASSIVE amount of vomit. Like big, nasty, projectile vomit. #2 and #3 were sympathy pukers--barely any vomit and they felt fine after some rest and water. That's why they keep us around...nursing judgement.

Last school year a boy on our soccer team vomited all over the field at the end of morning practice. Two other boys vomited shortly after. The coach was completely confused as to why I sent home vomiter #1 but not #2 or #3. Vomiter #1 had a MASSIVE amount of vomit. Like big, nasty, projectile vomit. #2 and #3 were sympathy pukers--barely any vomit and they felt fine after some rest and water. That's why they keep us around...nursing judgement.

Exactly! I had that happen a couple of years ago with my 4th grade class!! I didn't even send home puker #1 in that instance because he was FF who would make himself vomit after lunch (which usually consisted of spicy chicken sandwiches and takis :scrying:)

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.
Exactly! I had that happen a couple of years ago with my 4th grade class!! I didn't even send home puker #1 in that instance because he was FF who would make himself vomit after lunch (which usually consisted of spicy chicken sandwiches and takis :scrying:)

I have one that eats too fast in the morning and vomits her lunch in the afternoon. She's not allergic to anything, but she does this a lot. Especially last year. Once she throws up, she feels better. Her mom knows and basically send her clothes just in case she does it again. Mom tells her to slow down her eating and eat something small, but she eats way too fast.

+ Add a Comment