Y'all know whats fun??

Specialties School

Published

Translating shot records that are in Arabic...I'm legitimately learning sooooo so much....:yes:

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

Are you using Pink Book?

We no longer are "required" to translate - If I can't read the record I direct the family to the local county translator service. We have a high India population - oh my, those records sometimes are all over the place, things written in margins of the baby book, sometimes written as MM/DD/YY and DD/MM/YY - so confusing at times.

Are you using Pink Book?

Actually, no I'm not, now that you mention it! I had actually forgotten about it :bag: Oddly enough, the vaccines themselves are written/typed in English! It's the dates that are written in Arabic PLUS they use the Hijri calendar instead of the Gregorian calendar on some of them.....its way more involved than I was expecting! I'm trying to figure out things like what year 1431 is in the Gregorian calendar!

It may be a little behind on learning this....but I didn't realize there were different calendars, and that we use the Gregorian one, until today!

Long story short, I've contacted the dad and he is going to get them figured out for me.

We no longer are "required" to translate - If I can't read the record I direct the family to the local county translator service. We have a high India population - oh my, those records sometimes are all over the place, things written in margins of the baby book, sometimes written as MM/DD/YY and DD/MM/YY - so confusing at times.

I don't even know if we have a county translator service!

Specializes in School Nursing.

If they've come through a consulate, they can get them translated there.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

Public Health is usually good for that too...but hey- you had fun! And you learned a thing. It was a good day, all things considered. I feel the same way using my rusty French, but then Google and Pink Book are my friends.

I love this, and thanks for the Pink Book tip.

Specializes in kids.

While the dates may be a challenge, Google Translate is pretty accurate as well

Might check with your county health department - our county health department will not translate either, our district got the info of the service from them.

What is the pink book? I had my first few arabic ones this year and many French Congo ones to try to figure out!

Specializes in kids.
What is the pink book? I had my first few arabic ones this year and many French Congo ones to try to figure out!

It is a publication by the CDC and very helpful

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/b/foreign-products-tables.pdf

Good Luck, I also find Google translate to be very helpful!

+ Add a Comment