Are You Educating Your Patients About the Value of Family Meals?

Are you advocating for regular family mealtimes in your standard patient education? Simple anticipatory guidance on eating meals together 3-5 times per week can improve health outcomes for the whole family. September is National Family Meals Month. Nurses Announcements Archive

Published

As a family nurse practitioner, family dynamics and their effects on patient health are always on my mind. I'm constantly on the lookout for simple, inexpensive, easily-actionable, whole-family interventions I can suggest to my patients to promote better health and wellness. In my experience, it's the seemingly "little things" like this that can make all the difference in my patients' lives. So, when I learned about the growing body of literature on the benefits of family mealtimes, I wanted to find ways to share what I had learned with my patients and every nurse I know.

Every individual's health involves actions and processes that take place in the context of their relationships with others- in other words, their "family." While most of the research that's been done on family mealtimes focuses on families with children, I can imagine that many of the benefits could extend to adult and senior populations as well. For those of you doing research, that's a great potential topic area...

The health benefits of family mealtimes are wide and varied. Studies show that regular family mealtimes can lead to healthier eating habits, which translate into better weight control. Family mealtimes also stimulate more open and authentic interpersonal communication, which can help stop risky behaviors, including substance abuse, before they start. And when children and teens engage in regular, meaningful, discussions with adults (and each other), they have lower stress levels and better school performance.

You don't have to be a family NP to integrate family concepts into your practice. Even if your nursing role does not explicitly direct a family-centered focus, you can appropriately encourage regular family mealtimes as part of your patient-centered care and patient education whenever it's appropriate. If this suggestion seems like a stretch for you, try asking your patients what mealtimes are like in their homes to start a conversation and see where it leads.

The literature shows that while families with children say they want to have more family mealtimes, they feel like they don't have time to do so. Families facing this type of barrier could use some help with planning... which is what nurses in all roles are good at. So, what are we waiting for?

Here are some simple and easy ways to help your patients and their families integrate regular family mealtimes into their overly busy lives. The ideas below are designed to get patients and their families thinking about how family mealtimes can be both possible and fun.

Reframe the concept of time.

Since the main excuse for not eating together regularly seems to be, "there's not enough time," a solution might be rethinking or reframing the concept of time. Start by planning ahead for family meals and scheduling them like appointments that must be kept. The American College of Pediatricians recommends 3-5 family meals per week, so start with once or twice a week and build from there. Families tend to like family mealtimes and want more of them, which is great because when you want something, the more likely you are to make it happen.

Create a participatory environment.

Planning ahead for family meals involves more than scheduling, shopping, and time management. Let the kids help plan the menus and the venues. Involve everyone in the shopping, food preparation, and kitchen cleanup. This teaches responsibility and saves time. Those who participate are invested in the process and are more likely to remain accountable and follow through. And of course, the more minds on the job, the more creative and fun the process is likely to be. Who says a family meal has to be an evening meal? It could be breakfast or lunch. As long as the meal involves family members eating together, mission accomplished.

Keep the conversation positive.

When the time spent together is pleasant, those involved will want more of it. If problems or potential problems arise, parents can address them in one-on-one conversations outside of mealtime. Making mealtime pleasant and enjoyable will fuel the desire to have more and more family meals together. And of course, a tension-free dining environment is good for digestion.

Keep the process simple.

Keeping a list of favorite quick and simple family mealtime recipes allows you to focus on the time spent together rather than the food itself. Try making double batches of soups, stews, casseroles and other dishes that can be frozen and reheated easily for future meals when prep time is short. Use a crockpot to free you up pre-meal for more and different types of family interactions.

Ban tech from the table.

Set a strict policy of no TV or electronic devices at the table. And in the name of keeping things positive, you may choose to allow for occasional tech-flexibility exceptions. For example, if everyone's favorite program happens during family mealtime, watch it together, then talk about it later in a tech-free environment. There's always a way to establish limits on screen time and distractions while leveraging the teachable moments technology can afford.

These ideas and others like them can help your patients and their families generate their own tips and tricks for making frequent family mealtime a reality. The key is to get patients and their families inspired to find solutions that work for them. Sharing this kind of information with my own patients has been met with positive responses and a willingness to try new things and get everyone in the family involved.

Now that you know the importance of family mealtimes and have seen some basic ideas for self-directed interventions, all you need to do is remember to ask your patients about family mealtimes and see where the conversation takes you. I'm confident you'll be pleasantly surprised by the positive outcomes.

Sources and Resources

8 Reasons to Make Time for Family Dinner - Health
FAQ - The Family Dinner Project - The Family Dinner Project
Family Dinners Are Important
September Is National Family Meals Month
The Benefits of the Family Table | American College of Pediatricians
The Family Table | American College of Pediatricians

No. Not a nursing intervention, IMO.

Thank you for your insight. Your point about how it would make you feel if your PCP tried to discuss this topic with you is well taken, and serves as a reminder to all of us that we need to build trust and rapport with our patients first before we offer even the most well-intended patient education.

But there's way more than that which you edited out of my post. Without understanding family dynamics in the home you risk causing unnecessary emotional distress which could impact healing and destroy whatever trust you've built with the patient. Unless those family dynamics are directly related to the reason you are caring for them that is not the role of a nurse. That is for a therapist which we are NOT trained to be. Furthermore what if they don't WANT to eat at a family table. Who are we to tell them what to do. SMH.

Specializes in Dialysis.

Many of my patients are older and live alone or in LTC facilities. They’d give anything for a family meal time. With all of the dynamics of today’s families, family meal times sound great, but not be an attainable reality

+ Add a Comment