Lazy RN looking for a gig

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I work full time (three 12's a week) at a large hospital at the bedside, which I enjoy. Most of my coworkers have second jobs but I do not want to work that hard. All the per diem I have seen require a commitment of one full shift a week minimum. If I was going to do that, I'd just try to pick up an extra shift at my regular job.

I would like to work an extra 4-8 hours a week, maybe doing paperwork or something online, at home or in an office. I have been looking at the usual job sites and everything seems to require a larger time commitment.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

Teaching English online has requirements as an established degree in education etc.

I have not seen much out there as you describe,time commitment is often full time ,and remote multi license in the states you are covering.

Nope. Just a degree. Chinese companies looking for native speakers. Know a few stay at home moms who do it for a little extra cash. It's only like 16 dollars an hour but it sounds super flexible.

Private duty. I pick my patients and my schedule. Private Duty can be notorious for low pay, so it might take some looking around. One agency I work for only pays $22/hr, another one I'm at $28/hr. Not bad for a side gig if that's what you're looking for.

I have a 2nd job (teaching online).

I want a part-time second job to be intellectually stimulated and to do something in addition to bedside care, which I enjoy. My spouse has tons of hobbies, empty nester, even my old dog will be gone soon. Online teaching sounds very interesting. A lot of my RN program had online components. Any thoughts on where to look for something like that?

Teaching English online has requirements as an established degree in education etc.

I have not seen much out there as you describe,time commitment is often full time ,and remote multi license in the states you are covering.

Hmmm, interesting. I got a Bachelor's in Education before I went to nursing school.

try clinical review nurse. You sit in front of a computer and most of them are telecommuters.

I want a part-time second job to be intellectually stimulated and to do something in addition to bedside care, which I enjoy. My spouse has tons of hobbies, empty nester, even my old dog will be gone soon. Online teaching sounds very interesting. A lot of my RN program had online components. Any thoughts on where to look for something like that?

Yeah. Google. Good Lord, do you want us to wipe your hiney for you, too?

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

Local schools of nursing. Get to know the instructors that bring students to your hospital. After you have established relationships with them and they think you are a great nurse and great preceptor -- or whatever you call the nurses that work with their students, then ask them if their schools have any opportunities.

You would be unlikely to be able to be an actual instructor (online or face-to-face) without an MSN, but you might get asked to do something like supervise a clinical group or work part time in a skills lab. You also might be able to get something like that in a CNA or LPN program.

I got my job by knowing the local instructors. They said their school was looking for some people to help out in their program and gave me the contact information of the person to call. I went through the application process and was given a job teaching 1 class session per week -- in a blended class with some classroom teaching and some online. It evolved into 100% online, 1 course per semester. But then ... I have my PhD. With a bachelor's, the opportunities would be limited to the types of positions I mentioned earlier. But if you start there, it could evolve into something better.

+ Add a Comment