New Grad Age 60 Can't Land a Job

Nurses Nurse Beth

Published

Dear Nurse Beth,

I have written to you before regarding ageism. I earned my BSN about 2 years ago and still do not have a job as a nurse. I am now ACLS cert. and was advised that may help. I was looking to start any job as a Nurse Residency. It is now obvious that my nursing degree and career will not be fulfilled. What career advice do you have for me at this point? I am about to turn 60. By the way, I think you were using my story in one of your books. Was wondering how that all worked out. Thank you.

Dear Age 60,

It may be harder to land a job at your age, but at age 60 you still have a lot to offer. Ageism is alive and well, but there are probably factors at play other than age if you have not landed a job after 2 years. It could be that your resume and cover letter need improvement to catch a recruiter's eye.

It's true you will not be eligible for most residencies at the 2-year mark. It may be that you need to broaden your search. Have you applied to dialysis, sub-acute care, even Corrections? If you are able to relocate, some areas have a greater need for nurses than others. The most important thing for you now is to land your first job- not your dream job. Have you activated your network, meaning contacted classmates who are working, and let them know you are looking for a job? Register on Indeed.com

Thanks for asking about my book (below), it's been more of a success than I imagined and I love hearing when it helps job seekers.

Don't give up. Persistence pays off. Call up that determination you showed when you got through nursing school :)

Best wishes,

Nurse Beth

Author, "Your Last Nursing Class: How to Land Your First Nursing Job"...and your next!

Specializes in Wound care; CMSRN.

I was 63 yoa when I landed my first job as an RN on an acute care unit. I turned down two SNF jobs and ultimately two other hospital jobs ( I had landed this one already) before I started working here (six months after passing the NCLEX and quitting my CNA job at a hospital that refused to interview me, to the chagrin of the RNs on my unit who wanted me to hire on badly. I'm a damn good nurse). I was relentless in my Job Search and knew what I wanted (acute care). I applied all over the country (none in the south except FL, once, and that reluctantly) and attended online and virtual job fairs. I interviewed in person in three surrounding states and at multiple hospitals in the state in which I graduated. I got turned down beau coup times. I have an ingrained hatred of HR dept's that will last me a life time.

You need to apply to a federal institution through USAJOBS - The Federal Government's official employment site The variety of RN jobs is astonishing, and ranges from Forest Service to Prisons and everything in between. The system is sloooow. Took me six months to get here. I'd suggest looking at VA. They'll give you a bit of credit for your BSN. I understand IHS is no longer hiring new grads w/o experience, but again, don't take anybody's word for anything.

I was never asked my age (it's illegal and federal service is under the microscope, plus, because of need, based on my application and a phone interview, I was offered a live interview and was hired), and apparently I don't look it, but I'm obviously older than 50. Attitude counts for a lot. Any federal service you have under your belt will count toward your retirement too. You can PM me for more details.

As for appearance if you can manage to look younger than your age it is good.Impressions are vital.Do your hair and makeup carefully with that in mind.

If you are a man, reconsider your facial hair. Clean-shaven looks younger. Trim your eyebrows. Hair color for men is simple and easy, just do not go too dark and fake looking. Do some research online. Temporary hair color is more forgiving. You do not need to hide all the gray, which is hard to do, but reducing the gray is more realistic and flattering.

The other day I was standing behind a seated, prominent surgeon and noticed his white roots. It occurred to me that every MD over 60 that isn't showing gray is coloring their hair.

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

Lowlights work well too for those of us that have grey/white hair - looks very natural and helps you to look younger.

Capitalize on your life experience - hurdles you've overcome, experience with disagreeable people and how you have turned the situation around, ability to think on your feet...

Hi Nurse Beth. Why did you phrase your response "sub acute, even Corrections?" As though Corrections nursing is the very last resort? Because that's what it sounds like you are trying to say.

I'm a nurse in Corrections and proud of it. There is no nursing specialty of last resort. We all perform valuable work and each setting has it's own challenges.

I was treated for breast cancer during my 3rd semester of nursing school. To me that is a tremendous hurdle and shows what I'm made of. Sadly, I'm afraid to mention that in an interview as they may view that as a liability/expense... Your thoughts?

I have an interest in Corrections because I tend to gravitate to underserved populations. I'm graduating in December and have no idea where I would start to pursue a position in that area. Any suggestions?

Specializes in Tele, ICU, Staff Development.
Hi Nurse Beth. Why did you phrase your response "sub acute, even Corrections?" As though Corrections nursing is the very last resort? Because that's what it sounds like you are trying to say.

I'm a nurse in Corrections and proud of it. There is no nursing specialty of last resort. We all perform valuable work and each setting has it's own challenges.

Thanks for your input. It's not even as in "even as a last resort"- it's even as in "even something as non-traditional or different from acute care". He was hoping for a Residency program but has to broaden his scope and think outside the box at this juncture. I respect all my nurse colleagues in Corrections.

Specializes in Tele, ICU, Staff Development.
I was treated for breast cancer during my 3rd semester of nursing school. To me that is a tremendous hurdle and shows what I'm made of. Sadly, I'm afraid to mention that in an interview as they may view that as a liability/expense... Your thoughts?

It is a tremendous hurdle and kudos to you. Nursing school is hard enough by itself, and I can't imagine going through breast cancer as well. There's really no reason to share that you had cancer. If you are explaining a gap in school, you can simply say you had health issues and they are all resolved now.

No gap. I was treated while I was still in school. If asked what my greatest accomplishment is, I would be lying if I didn't share that. Perhaps I can say that I experienced significant adversity while in the program but did not let it stop me from continuing?

I have an interest in Corrections because I tend to gravitate to underserved populations. I'm graduating in December and have no idea where I would start to pursue a position in that area. Any suggestions?

Suggestions, yes!! Based on my personal experience...If you can get into an acute care new grad residency, take it. Your new graduate status has an expiration date of 6 to 9 months after which many hospital systems will not look at you without two years of experience. Rough estimate, about 50% of our patients in jail were seen in the hospital in the last 180 days, so basically the same population! I know many excellent nurses who have never worked in a hospital. But for me, it was infinitely valuable.

If you really want to go straight to Corrections, I know several awesome nurses who did that too. Where I work, the jail medical department are county health department employees, jobs are posted on the County jobs website. Jails are run by the county sheriff. And if your state has unions, look for a Corrections job in a union environment. Regarding prisons, I have never worked in prison. If your county jail isnt directly hiring, check with local staffing agencies, they may hire via agency first. Good luck new grads!! You got this.

Thank you very much!

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

I would not mention it as yes, it can be viewed as a liability. The less said about your own medical issues the better.

+ Add a Comment