Would a transplant recipient be on the same strict neutropenic precautions as an AIDS pt?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Compared to AIDS Patients, how immuncompromised are transplant recipients?

I have no idea. I assume the circumstances and answers are very complex.

What is the situation, why are you asking? Who do you know, or what patient do you have with these issues?

You are a student. Is this for homework?

You'll probably need to define the question further or go back over the lecture/book to see what they're alluding to. A patient with a fresh bone marrow transplant is much different than a patient with a corneal transplant years later.

Specializes in ICU, Research, Corrections.

You are trying to compare apples and oranges. There is not enough info given in your question to even guess at an answer.

Specializes in UR/PA, Hematology/Oncology, Med Surg, Psych.

Just to start off your thinking process, what drug group is used with transplant recipients? The answer is anti-rejection drugs that suppress the immune system

my suspicious mind kicking in... do you think you are dealing with an AIDS patient and it is being hidden from you?

As an oncology nurse who also has experience with transplant nursing, I would say technically no. True neutropenia is generally considered to be an ANC (absolute neutrophil count) of less than 1.00. Typically you'll see that more often with patients on "count recovery" following chemotherapy/biotherapy treatment. However, that being said, AIDs and transplant patients are certainly immunocompromised and could very possibly have an ANC of less than 1.0 at some point. Either way, I would advise increased vigilance when monitoring these types of patients since they're all at a higher risk of infection. I hope that makes sense and/or answers your question.

+ Add a Comment