New grad considering a position in a doctor's office

Nurses New Nurse

Published

I recently graduated from nursing school with a BSN and have been searching for my first job. I wanted to work in a hospital and do medsurg like everyone says you should but most of them say they require experience which I obviously don't have, and the ones that I have applied to have not even called me for an interview. I recently got a call to interview for a pediatric clinic. I love pediatrics and think it would be a really enjoyable job but I'm worried if I take it that will put ever working in a hospital out of the question. Is it a bad idea to take a job in a doctor's office right out of school? If I do will I loose my nursing skills and never be able to get hired for a hospital of I decide to re apply later on?

Would love some advice from nurses who have worked in a community setting.

Specializes in Pediatrics, Pediatric Float, PICU, NICU.

This is not meant in any offensive way...but you don't even have nursing skills yet to lose. Plenty of people have gone from a clinic or office into a hospital position. Not everyone starts out in a hospital or at their "dream job." Every job will provide you with knowledge and you will learn things that you can take with you to the next job. Plus, you haven't even interviewed yet so at least take the interview and in the meantime continue applying to other jobs that you may be interested in.

I recently graduated from nursing school with a BSN and have been searching for my first job. I wanted to work in a hospital and do medsurg like everyone says you should but most of them say they require experience which I obviously don't have, and the ones that I have applied to have not even called me for an interview. I recently got a call to interview for a pediatric clinic. I love pediatrics and think it would be a really enjoyable job but I'm worried if I take it that will put ever working in a hospital out of the question. Is it a bad idea to take a job in a doctor's office right out of school? If I do will I loose my nursing skills and never be able to get hired for a hospital of I decide to re apply later on?

Would love some advice from nurses who have worked in a community setting.

For an acute care job, acute care experience is usually favored ...but clinic experience would be better than no experience, at all. If you want a hospital job and aren't finding one in your area, consider moving to someplace less saturated.

+ Add a Comment