Moving to day shift?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hi! I have been on days for the past year and a half part time. I also work a day shift job. I'm ready to get off midnights, however I am TERRIFIED to do so at the hospital. Some nights I have are still incredible busy (med surg/step down ICU unit). I often work with new nurses too so that makes me very anxious as well. I am debating going to day shift, or taking a job at an outpatient clinic. I just don't know if I can handle the chaos of day shift. It would settle my mind knowing I have experienced nurses that can help me if needed, however I lack confidence sometimes and worry I wouldn't be able to keep up! I know this sounds silly, but sometimes I get overwhelmed on nights so I can't even imagine days. The outpatient clinic is nice, but part of me is so connected to working at the hospital. Sometimes the nights can be great, I love helping my patients, I love using my skills. And I don't know that I would get that in the clinic as much. But maybe the less stress is worth it? I'm a very anxious person to begin with, obviously hahah Please let me know your thoughts :)

Sour Lemon

5,016 Posts

It's all about staffing and acuity. Days can be great if you have great staffing.

beekee

839 Posts

Can you pick up a couple shifts on days for a "test run"? Maybe doing it a couple times will give you a better idea how it will be anxiety-wise.

Hi! I have been on days for the past year and a half part time. I also work a day shift job. I'm ready to get off midnights, however I am TERRIFIED to do so at the hospital. Some nights I have are still incredible busy (med surg/step down ICU unit). I often work with new nurses too so that makes me very anxious as well. I am debating going to day shift, or taking a job at an outpatient clinic. I just don't know if I can handle the chaos of day shift. It would settle my mind knowing I have experienced nurses that can help me if needed, however I lack confidence sometimes and worry I wouldn't be able to keep up! I know this sounds silly, but sometimes I get overwhelmed on nights so I can't even imagine days. The outpatient clinic is nice, but part of me is so connected to working at the hospital. Sometimes the nights can be great, I love helping my patients, I love using my skills. And I don't know that I would get that in the clinic as much. But maybe the less stress is worth it? I'm a very anxious person to begin with, obviously hahah Please let me know your thoughts :)
I work on an Intermediate Step Down unit too. I went from nights to days. Days are busier and the pay is less, but I don't regret it. Being able to finally get back on a schedule that suits me makes up for all the hassle.
+ Add a Comment