Can LPN Offer juvaderm/botox injections?

Nurses Nurse Beth

Updated:   Published

Specializes in Tele, ICU, Staff Development.

Dear Nurse Beth,

NYS - I own a Permanent Makeup & Medical Service salon. My services range from PMU to Microneedling. In NYS can LPNs offer juvaderm/botox/restylane injections?

Dear Wants to Offer Juvaderm/Botox/Restylane Injections,

I'm assuming you are not running your current business as an LPN, as that would be out of scope for LPN practice. You don't say what "medical services" you provide, but under New York State law, LPNs practice under the supervision of an RN or a licensed provider. There is no situation under which an LPN can "hang out their shingle".

You definitely cannot inject juvaderm/botox/restylane as an LPN operating independently. Please do not even consider this, as you will put your license at risk.For one thing, you most likely cannot even purchase reputable fillers on your own. They are purchased under a provider's license. That is why cosmetic nurses (RNs) who own a spa align with a state approved medical provider to perform services.

If you are interested in cosmetics, consider working as an employee under a physician in an office. There you will receive on the job training or complete training courses provided by vendors.

As far as your current business, please read your NY LPN scope of practice and check with your insurance provider and business attorney to make sure you are not endangering your license by performing microneedling. In other words, even if you are not providing services as an LPN, what would happen if a disgruntled client discovered you are an LPN and reported you to the Board?

Best wishes,

Nurse Beth

Author, "Your Last Nursing Class: How to Land Your First Nursing Job"...and your next!

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

I assume that the OP wants to hire LPNs instead of RNs as a cost-saving measure.

I assume that the OP wants to hire LPNs instead of RNs as a cost-saving measure.

I think you're right. Even if the OP is a physician and the LPN works under his/her supervision, the LPN is held to NY state scope of practice and professional standards.

Injecting fillers is not specifically addressed, but it is a long stretch from PPD skin tests (allowed). The liability for the LPN and the physician is high if something goes wrong.

I'm an LPN And I am the one they call in the facility when they need an IV started. We do much more than PPD

1 Votes
9 hours ago, Holly678 said:

I'm an LPN And I am the one they call in the facility when they need an IV started. We do much more than PPD

Yes, LPNs perform many tasks under their scope of practice, even hanging blood in some states. The question was if LPNs can inject dermal fillers.

+ Add a Comment